FAQ  •  Login

Which BRFC DVD Edition will you buy?

Moderator: dmohrUSC

Which BRFC DVD Edition will you buy?

BR THE FINAL CUT SPECIAL EDITION (2-DISC)
2%
BR COLLECTOR'S EDITION (4-DISC)
5%
BR ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION (5-DISC)
71%
BR HD-DVD / BLU-RAY EDITION (5-DISC)
21%

Total votes : 56
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:16 pm

Oh balls...
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

photek

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:06 pm

HD will not last - I researched this endlessly and actually nixed my HD pre-order for the Blu-Ray version. If you do the math between which studios are doing HD vs. Blu-Ray, it looks like Blu-Ray is going to eventually take the win. Not saying HD is bad by any means but it looks like it might head the way of BETA (while great technology, fewer titles and a half-complete catalog with bummed collectors and only purists who remain interested). Cannot wait until my ultimate Blu-Ray set arrives in the fake cheesy Haliburton case!
FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD
- George Orwell
<<

BR796164

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:09 pm

msgeek wrote:
Kaneda wrote:I ask again: is there a 5-disc DVD without the briefcase?

Nope. To get the Workprint Version, you have to buy the briefcase. :P

THERE IS. But it's Region 2 version (Europe, Egypt, Arabia, Japan and South Africa). You can order it from UK Amazon or any good online DVD megastore if you live in this area.

<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Does me no good, unfortunately. I'm American.
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:36 pm

Deckard wrote:
I. J. Thompson wrote:[b]Deckard[/b[, you've managed to avoid BR on dvd for the last ten years??? That's amazing... I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Final Cut, since you've never seen the DC!

Yes, I have. It hasn't been easy, but I have continued watching the tape I own exclusively. I have had to buy 2 VCRs to keep a working VHS in my house just for Blade Runner. That VHS version echoes what I remember from seeing the picture on the big screen, so I have not been lacking, but it will be nice to finally see the extras. I'm looking forward to watching the Final Cut and the Director's version along with the other extras.

Wait a second... Blade Runner... VHS... do you mean you haven't seen Blade Runner presented widescreen since 1982???

Oh man... I'd like to be you on December 18th! ;)
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

BR796164

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:01 am

Kaneda wrote:Does me no good, unfortunately. I'm American.

Why, you don't like the briefcase, spinner and unicorn? I would be all over it if I were in your place... like I said before I ordered R2 UCE before I knew it won't come in briefcase, I can't cancel the order right now, and it will actually cost me more than if I ordered the R1 briefcase from America.
I may look for it later but if it won't be available, I'll try to live without the briefcase and toys somehow. :P
<<

Deckard

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:21 am

I. J. Thompson wrote:Wait a second... Blade Runner... VHS... do you mean you haven't seen Blade Runner presented widescreen since 1982???

Oh man... I'd like to be you on December 18th! ;)

You know it brother!

I can't wait to see this and all of the extras. :)
Last edited by Deckard on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deckard

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession: ex-cop, ex-BladeRunner, ex-killer."
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:57 am

BR796164 wrote:Why, you don't like the briefcase, spinner and unicorn? I would be all over it if I were in your place... like I said before I ordered R2 UCE before I knew it won't come in briefcase, I can't cancel the order right now, and it will actually cost me more than if I ordered the R1 briefcase from America.
I may look for it later but if it won't be available, I'll try to live without the briefcase and toys somehow. :P

It's a bit overkill for me. Kind of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZV2ODfOIvI

I really just want the discs. Trying to find a place for the damn suitcase is another reason.
-Shotaro Kaneda

<<

BR796164

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:19 am

You can try to order R2 UCE from UK Amazon anyway - it's worth a try.
Of course you should have either a multiregion DVD player, or be prepared to switch your PC DVD-ROM to R2 or get one of those rumored "illegal region unlocking softwure" for it.

And yes, eww, that oversized taco looks rather disgusting than delicious. I don't like the idea of eating big things in snack bars like a pig. :roll:
<<

starramus

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:30 pm

photek wrote:HD will not last - I researched this endlessly and actually nixed my HD pre-order for the Blu-Ray version. If you do the math between which studios are doing HD vs. Blu-Ray, it looks like Blu-Ray is going to eventually take the win. Not saying HD is bad by any means but it looks like it might head the way of BETA (while great technology, fewer titles and a half-complete catalog with bummed collectors and only purists who remain interested). Cannot wait until my ultimate Blu-Ray set arrives in the fake cheesy Haliburton case!

Not just movie studios, but the player manufacturers who have gone with Bluray far exceeds the number going with HD. You are correct and you have done a man's job sir! :)

Many make the analogy to Sony's error of Beta. But Beta had its place. It was the first. In the basement rec room of my ex-house in the possession of my ex-wife is my very first VCR. It is a Sony SL-7200 just about the first Beta machine. It is actually Beta 1 and still is functioning last I checked. I don't have court ordered visitation rights though. That equipment was really built comparable to broadcast machines.

I am going with Bluray and am waiting for the right deal to come along for a 52" Sony XBR Flat Panel combo deal with a 1080 Bluray player. I will wait until the Christmas rabble have been frisked. :lol:
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:45 pm

The reason why some like HD-DVD more is the added interactivity. It is harder to program interactivity into a Blu-Ray disc. However, that interactivity is very Microsoft-centric. Remember, HD-DVD's codec is an MS codec, and also the reason why the XBox 360 has the option of an HD-DVD player. Apple seems to be going with Blu-Ray as its next gen optical solution, and I suspect that they might add some more interactivity into the evolving standard, with Sony's blessing.

However, you cannot count HD-DVD out with the XBox connection. Currently XBox 360 (and Wii) are mopping the floor with Playstation 3 everywhere but Japan. Wii has a more decisive win over PS3 in Japan and XBox 360 is barely out of the starting gate there. Gamers, not computer companies or set top player makers, might have the final say about which next-gen format reigns supreme.

Me? I'm sticking with DVD. 720p is good enough for me, dammit. Especially when I have a SD Analog set still in my Ghetto Home Theatre.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

starramus

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:46 pm

Last edited by starramus on Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

ridleyville

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:01 pm

I dont know if a BRDVD version is anygood to you i have a PS3 so i am all good and its region free, but with regular dvds its not RF and plus its illegal to ship outside of the region, no worries with the BR on that thou, i dont know wat the sitution is like with HDDVD.

Hi Guys, why do you think that you cannot order the Briefcase from the states. As far as i am aware it is not illegal to own a DVD that is purchased in the correct country of origin. The problem is for people selling and distributing them in the wrong region.
Also the Blu ray is not region coded so there would be no problem playing it on a UK machine.
I have ordered from Amazon.com
More human than human
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:06 pm

As far as I am aware, it is not illegal to sell import DVDs in any region, either. Several video stores here in Los Angeles regularly sell import DVDs, and the web makes this a pretty moot point, anyway; even Amazon.com sells non-region 1 DVDs now.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:29 am

You guys kidding? You can buy DVDs from other countries direct! Hell, I got the French edition of Apocalypse Now Redux from Amazon.fr and I don't speak French.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut