FAQ  •  Login

New clips

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:46 pm

Actually, as far as I can tell, there's been no hard and fast plan to "control and cultivate." That's just an interesting by-product of the fact that it's simply taken this long for all of the players to agree on something...namely, celebrating the 25th Anniversary of Blade Runner.

Also, regarding the huge amount of footage you won't be seeing, just keep in mind, EVERY major movie and TV show has an abundance of unused footage that will never see the light of day. I was just very fortunate that most of Blade Runner's footage had been saved and I was granted access to it. Plus, I love using outtakes and unused footage to enhance my documentaries and special features, as I've done with Gladiator, Hannibal, Kingdom of Heaven, Matchstick Men, A Good Year and Alien Quadrilogy, for example. I just find it more interesting than using regular clips and it provides an added bonus for fans who get a chance to see this rare material.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:52 pm

And that's why I love the work you do. I love the shots you sneaked in the Alien doc, like bringing in Kane's body and the alien poking Brett's back.

You do realize, though, that in a few decades, if home video technology allows for much more massive amounts of space for stuff, people will be begging for every take and shot to be on some archive.

Then again, with technology going from analog tapes with virtually no extras to digital discs with lots of extras, it could be a possibility.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:27 pm

deleted wrote:And that's why I love the work you do. I love the shots you sneaked in the Alien doc, like bringing in Kane's body and the alien poking Brett's back.

Ditto ditto! I sometimes watch that doc just for the outtakes... like that wire gag with the alien throwing Parker against the wall - brilliant! (p.s: not to get off-topic Charles, but did Yaphet and Ian Holm refuse to be interviewed?)

Seriously, I think I could see myself shelling for every shot from these two films, if I ever found a big bag o' money somewhere... 8)
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:00 pm

I. J. Thompson wrote:(p.s: not to get off-topic Charles, but did Yaphet and Ian Holm refuse to be interviewed?)

Ian Holm very politely declined. Yaphet Kotto we almost got, and not only were we going to interview him on-camera, we were also going to have him join Tom Skerritt, Veronica Cartwright and Harry Dean Stanton via remote ISDN feed for the cast commentary. Unfortunately, we could never get him scheduled and finally ran out of time. Similarly, we almost didn't get Sigourney Weaver, but fortunately, her scheduled freed up at the last minute. Same with James Cameron.
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:16 pm

Thanks for the info! :)

Man, I can't imagine how hard it must be to coordinate these kinds of people! Do you typically have to fly around to interview everyone, or do they come to you? And also, do you pre-interview the guests (so they have an idea of what will be asked), or do you just wing it?

Forgive me if I'm asking too many questions (I enjoy making docs m'self, so this is really interesting stuff to me! :) )!
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:08 pm

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:Plus, I love using outtakes and unused footage to enhance my documentaries and special features, as I've done with Gladiator, Hannibal, Kingdom of Heaven, Matchstick Men, A Good Year and Alien Quadrilogy, for example. I just find it more interesting than using regular clips and it provides an added bonus for fans who get a chance to see this rare material.

It really, really bothers me when supplements cram themselves with clips of the film I have (almost aways) just watched. It's like, yeah, I know that scene already--I don't need to see it again. If we cut all the repeated footage in these things, I swear they'd be half as long.
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:11 pm

Generally, if the talent isn't in L.A., either I or someone working for me will travel to them for the interview. Only rarely will we fly someone in. To be perfectly honest, it all boils down to how limited our budget is and how "high maintenence" the talent is. Sometimes it's cheaper to fly me out to them; other times, the opposite.

We very rarely have time for a pre-interview. These people are usually very busy and are already giving us a lot of their time, so it's virtually impossible to have a serious sit down before the shoot. But we will often discuss things briefly before the shoot so they know what they're getting into. And even though I try to be as well-informed and researched as possible before a shoot, there will occasionally be a story or anecdote that comes up in one interview that can inform later interviews. I always hate it when something comes up that I wish I could have asked in an already-completed interview, but it happens. Again, it's very rare that I get a second chance with someone, but occasionally it happens.

Then there's the other extreme: Paul Sammon. Two different passes on his audio commentary (both uniquely jam-packed with almost too much great info) and then a whopping SEVEN HOUR on-camera interview! I think we both felt beaten down after that one, although I'm sure Paul could have kept going if we needed him to. Wow...
<<

photek

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:30 pm

Hey Charles,

Not to be a broken record ... but ... having you aboard is like going from smoke signals to telepathy! In each submittal, you clear up or shed light on more information than we folks here would usually speculate on for months or longer. Your inside info and (most importantly) clarifications are most appreciated and, as your many posts indicate - you are a true BR fan despite your involvement. I hope you plan to stay a while. Thanks for keeping us dialed in.
FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD
- George Orwell
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:01 am

dmohrUSC wrote:But then I thought about the videocopy of a 5 1/2 hour workprint of Apocalypse Now that I picked up on the black market (well, alright, it was eBay :wink:) several years ago, and watching it was just a slog; sure, there were intermittent curiosities throughout, but there were 15 whole minutes at the end of mind-numbingly repetitive shots of Martin Sheen being carried around the jungle fortress by Cambodian tribes, and all I could think was, what the hell is this and why should I care? Of course, I'm only speaking for myself and no one else; but I think that after the initial thrill of seeing some of the BR rough footage that wasn't ever pieced together in any 'completed' sense, trying to sit down and actually watch all the hours of BR rough footage is probably a pretty dry and boring experience.

You make a good point dmohrUSC, if we did get to see everything, would we really want to? Honestly, for how long can one stand rainy crowd scenes for hours on end? It would be interesting to find out how Charles feels about Blade Runner after having to sift through hours of this sort of thing!? The old saying "Be careful what you wish for", comes to mind.
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:11 am

To be honest, and not to make you guys feel bad, I feel blessed to be one of a very select handful of people on Earth to have seen all that footage. This job has been like attending the greatest film school in the world and seeing the raw dailies from Blade Runner might just be the highpoint of that experience. I never got tired of it. Ever.

(And to photek, and everyone else, thank you for the kind words. It means a lot to me.)
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:46 am

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:To be honest, and not to make you guys feel bad, I feel blessed to be one of a very select handful of people on Earth to have seen all that footage. This job has been like attending the greatest film school in the world and seeing the raw dailies from Blade Runner might just be the highpoint of that experience. I never got tired of it. Ever.

You didn't make us feel bad, we just want to see your first movie. You do have one in mind, right? Right? And a development deal?

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:(And to photek, and everyone else, thank you for the kind words. It means a lot to me.)

It means a lot to me, and everyone else, that you come round here to hang with us fanboys and fangirls.

(Sorry I couldn't come up with that damn mini-DVI to VGA adapter that day at Comic-Con...it was in my hotel room, and I really did think I packed it into my smaller "take the lappie with me" backpack. The Digital Bits panel was saved anyway, thankfully.)
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:52 am

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:To be honest, and not to make you guys feel bad, I feel blessed to be one of a very select handful of people on Earth to have seen all that footage. This job has been like attending the greatest film school in the world and seeing the raw dailies from Blade Runner might just be the highpoint of that experience. I never got tired of it. Ever.

(And to photek, and everyone else, thank you for the kind words. It means a lot to me.)

Okay, so Charles WASN'T bored senseless by watching all the hours of BR rough footage. God bless him. I'll be the first in line to buy his memoirs of his experiences with the FC and Ultimate Collection, I mean that.

For the rest of us, in order to psychologically combat this new information, I suggest doing what I've already done:
1. Fall in love with movies from throughout history and around the world, fall in love with the individual sensibilities of different directors and screenwriters and familiarize yourself with their careers, and then stockpile your Netflix queue. (I've got almost 500 titles in my queue that I truly can't wait to watch, and of course none of us are getting any younger, so each good new movie I see is a treasure.)
2. And then try really, really hard not to think of all the hours of BR rough footage that you'll never see :lol:
Last edited by dmohrUSC on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:44 am

photek wrote:Your inside info and clarifications are most appreciated and...

is it just me or there is no interview to Charles in BladeZone? will there be any? :roll:
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:31 pm

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:Then there's the other extreme: Paul Sammon. Two different passes on his audio commentary (both uniquely jam-packed with almost too much great info) and then a whopping SEVEN HOUR on-camera interview! I think we both felt beaten down after that one, although I'm sure Paul could have kept going if we needed him to. Wow...

He claimed the original version of Future Noir had 300 pages cut. That's a whole book right there. Seven hours? As you said, wow. You guys deserve medals, or something.

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:(And to photek, and everyone else, thank you for the kind words. It means a lot to me.)

You have more than earned the praise of the community sir. We really do appreciate all you've done, and are doing.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:28 pm

Thank you very much Charles. It is great that a fan like you followed his dream and then was able and willing to share it with us. It is a good time to be a BR fan as well. I also hope you are able to stay active in the Fan communities as you always seem to have been, albeit incognito at times. I know my local Film Historical museum is planning on playing the FC come January, and is looking to get guest speakers. If there is a chance you could attend I could get you in touch with the people there.

Thank you so much again,
Andy
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut