FAQ  •  Login

Another "I just saw the Final Cut" topic

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

deleted

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1191

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Location: The banks of chaos in my mind

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Another "I just saw the Final Cut" topic

It's hard for me to describe my emotions at seeing this in the theaters. I'm in a state of numb euphoria right now; tired, but very, very happy.

This was the first time dad had seen it theatrically since 1982, and the first since I'd seen it theatrically, ever. It is, without a doubt, the best version of the best movie, ever. The sound and picture were A+ quality. I was blown away by both the entire time. The new footage was great, and the corrections to the mistakes were welcomed, too. It really was like seeing it again for the first time, if that makes any sense.

And yes, I told myself I wouldn't, but when we got to the tears in rain scene, I wept.

By the way, the Zeigfield is the best theater I have ever been to.

I will post my own list of differences. I will use color coding.

-From the workprint
-From the international cut
-Brand new

Mistakes Corrected:
-The second iris shot reacts to the flames, and the flames look fixed up and better than ever.
-Bryant says TWO replicants were fried running through an electrical field.
-No more spinner wires.
-Ben Ford's mouth digitally placed over his fathers in the Abdul Ben Hassan scene. The dialogue matches the lips now.
-Joanna Cassidy's face has been digitally placed over all of the shots of the stunt doubles. Also, I believe they added the snake tatoo in when it had been missing in some shots.
-When Deckard meets Bryant for the second time, his cheek injury has been digitally removed, due to the ordering of the Leon fight scenes.
-All spinner wires removed.
-When Roy is in the phonebooth, the background has been replaced to make it look like he's actually in the phonebooth. The thumb has been removed. It's possible the nail (fromt the fist shot) was also removed.
-When Deckard is climbing up the Bradbury, the wide shot that had been missing Roy now has Roy looking out the window.
-The shadow of Scott, the cameraman, and Ford on the wall at the Bradbury has been fixed, so now only Ford's shadow can be seen.
-The serial number on the snake scale has been altered to match what the Cambodian lady read aloud.

-There is a shot of a smiling Tyrell in during the scene where Deckard is VK'ing Rachel. In all versions of this shot, Ford's face can be seen from the side in the corner of the shot. This has been removed.
-When the doves flies away, there is a new background that matches the rest of the movie.

New Material:
-There seems to be more spinner radio chatter than before; The sound throughout the movie seems to have been tweaked and improved in every scene. It's possible new sounds were added.
-The shot of Deckard looking at the blimp while waiting at the White Dragon is shorter, due to the removal of the voice over.
-Pris claps Deckard's head twice and breaks his nose during their fight.
-Deckard shoots Pris three times; she is convulsing a lot more in this version.
-Bryant gives a verbal description of Leon during the briefing at Police HQ.
-The landlord says "Kowalski" when opening the apartment door for Gaff and Deckard.

-The ORIGINAL non-DC unicorn scene has been reinserted.
-When Deckard walks away from the Cambodian lady, the camera slowly pans up from the crowd to a sign, then fades to the next scene.
-The shot of Leon approaching the apartment might be shorter, but it might also match the DC. I'm not sure.
-The shot of Roy slowly lowering the rubber eyeballs from his face MIGHT have been shortened a bit. Dunno.
-Roy now says "I want more life, father" instead of "fucker".
-After killing Tyrell, Batty says "I'm sorry Sebastian. Come. Come." when before he merely approached the desperate Sebastian.

-A shot of the busy crowds in the streets was restored. Immediately after that, a shot of two strippers wearing hockey masks was restored. Finally, there's a shot of Deckard talking to another police officer. This sequence takes place just prior to Deckard entering the Snake Pit. These three shots had previously appeared in slightly different form in the workprint version; this sequence has Brian Eno's "Qu'ran" playing over it.
-Roy's murder of Tyrell is longer and bloodier.
-Roy's nail impalement of his own hand is bloodier and longer.


There are some claims that "When Deckard is drinking on his balcony, you can see a lighted billboard reflection on one side of his face" but I seem to recall this as always being there...odd.
Last edited by deleted on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Merc

User avatar

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Posts: 59

Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 3:26 am

Location: Ontario, Canada

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:38 pm

All these great descriptions of the Final Cut are making it that much harder for me to wait until December, heh.

Thanks for sharing :D
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Posts: 117

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:15 am

Pretty in-depth, but I don't know...no one has picked up the things I've noticed that were new or altered.

Glad you enjoyed it. Ziegfeld is the best and cleanest theater I've been in.
<<

Mr.Origami

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Posts: 45

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:02 am

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:23 am

It's very interesting reading these reports from the theatrical screening of the Final Cut.
Anyway It seems that this new cut can be basically considered a mixing of the Work Print version, the first Theatrical version and the Director's Cut with a lot of digital mistakes corrections. The main aim is clearly to not change the mood and the spirit of the orginal cut but to fix all the technical and continuity errors Scott couldn't solve at that time.
The differences will be noticed only by people like us who had seen the movie hundreds of times but I doubt that who watched it twice will figure out what is the sense of this new cut. Therefore I think that seeing all the 5 dvd of the ultimate edition will be very useful to people who didn't see it with our philological point of view (and to every Real Blade Runner lover of course!).
<<

dmohrUSC

User avatar

Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 197

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:46 am

Location: Madison, WI, USA

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:35 am

Great stuff, deleted. What a treat to have the FC be your very first experience of seeing BR on the big screen. I'm glad for all the times I've seen the other cuts in the theatre - but all the same, I envy you too :wink:

One WP-to-FC question I haven't seen posted yet (and maybe it already has, but we've had hundreds of posts in the last month since the Venice Film Festival, so thanks for forgiving my defective memory implants) is whether after Leon shoots Holden, Holden flies into the desk and it holds on the smoking shots in his back for a few seconds, as it does in the WP.

I kind of doubt it was added back into the FC, seeing as all other versions of BR don't feature this moment (the timing of the editing of Holden flying into his desk, and cutting right into the first shot of "downtown" L.A. 2019, always had a better rhythm to it)...but, still, had to ask.
<<

deleted

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1191

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Location: The banks of chaos in my mind

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:10 pm

dmohrUSC wrote:Great stuff, deleted. What a treat to have the FC be your very first experience of seeing BR on the big screen. I'm glad for all the times I've seen the other cuts in the theatre - but all the same, I envy you too :wink:

One WP-to-FC question I haven't seen posted yet (and maybe it already has, but we've had hundreds of posts in the last month since the Venice Film Festival, so thanks for forgiving my defective memory implants) is whether after Leon shoots Holden, Holden flies into the desk and it holds on the smoking shots in his back for a few seconds, as it does in the WP.

I kind of doubt it was added back into the FC, seeing as all other versions of BR don't feature this moment (the timing of the editing of Holden flying into his desk, and cutting right into the first shot of "downtown" L.A. 2019, always had a better rhythm to it)...but, still, had to ask.

It's the quick edit like the DC and theatrical versions.

eccentricbeing wrote:Pretty in-depth, but I don't know...no one has picked up the things I've noticed that were new or altered.

Glad you enjoyed it. Ziegfeld is the best and cleanest theater I've been in.

I read your topic. What did I miss? The color timing thing?


I wanted to add that I had printed out that ticket from BladeZone, and brought it, but left it in the car, d'oh!

Also, as I was walking out of the room, a man behind me on a cell phone was saying "Man, Blade Runner was the SHIT!" (for all you non-Americans, that means it was awesome.)

As we were leaving the theater building, the line for the 7 PM showing was waaaaaaaay out of the door. It was awesome to see that. Hell, the 4 PM showing was a pretty full house too.

Oh, and this was great. One of the preview single image ads was for the Dianetics book. Fucking ironic, all things considered.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Posts: 117

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:03 pm

deleted wrote:
eccentricbeing wrote:Pretty in-depth, but I don't know...no one has picked up the things I've noticed that were new or altered.

Glad you enjoyed it. Ziegfeld is the best and cleanest theater I've been in.

I read your topic. What did I miss? The color timing thing?


Not so much color timing, just corrections that no one picked up on. Like when the Gaff's spinner is about to land in Tyrell's building, there is an actual background behind the building. It's in this shot.

Image

Then, in another shot where Deckard is climbing the building...like in this shot:

Image

They corrected it by inserting Roy where he should be in the shot. (not to mention, they cut out Roy's laugh)

I guess it's trivial. I don't mean to make this a big deal, just want to know if anyone saw this.
<<

msgeek

User avatar

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Posts: 416

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:49 pm

Location: Paranoia City, Valley Sector, LA County

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:34 pm

deleted wrote:Oh, and this was great. One of the preview single image ads was for the Dianetics book. Fucking ironic, all things considered.


Well, if the ad was for a Wilbur Mercer book, then it would be even MORE ironic.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

elbiolin

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:47 am

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:51 pm

One thing that I would like to know (deleted or msgeek):

Is it true that on the unicorn scene Deckard is with his eyes wide open (I mean remembering instead of dreaming) like we can see on the Yahoo group video?
<<

deleted

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1191

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Location: The banks of chaos in my mind

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:20 pm

eccentricbeing wrote:They corrected it by inserting Roy where he should be in the shot. (not to mention, they cut out Roy's laugh)

"-When Deckard is climbing up the Bradbury, the wide shot that had been missing Roy now has Roy looking out the window. "

I had that originally, but I didn't realize they had cut his laughing.

Oh, thanks for pointing out that Tyrell backgroud. I guess that one kind of blended in for me, which was probably the intent.

elbiolin, the Yahoo video was from the FC if I remember correctly. His eyes are indeed wide open during the dream.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

elbiolin

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:47 am

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:56 pm

You let me wondering, so I had to see it again and NO. There's no shot from Deckard's face. Just his back as if he would fell asleep.
I can't see wether his eyes are shut or open on my TV but I can say that it is the Director's Cut. There's no other CUT over here. I saw the european theatrical release on TV back in the eighties but never again.
So where do this shot came from?
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Posts: 117

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:54 pm

deleted wrote:
eccentricbeing wrote:They corrected it by inserting Roy where he should be in the shot. (not to mention, they cut out Roy's laugh)

"-When Deckard is climbing up the Bradbury, the wide shot that had been missing Roy now has Roy looking out the window. "

I had that originally, but I didn't realize they had cut his laughing.

Oh, thanks for pointing out that Tyrell backgroud. I guess that one kind of blended in for me, which was probably the intent.

elbiolin, the Yahoo video was from the FC if I remember correctly. His eyes are indeed wide open during the dream.


Duh... I didn't see that. Apologies.

Yeah, there are several other new stuff that I didn't pick up on either because it just blended so well. There are things that are questionable on whether it's new or always been there, but I'll watch in a couple of months when someone else will analyze it to shit.
<<

deleted

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1191

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Location: The banks of chaos in my mind

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:15 am

eccentricbeing wrote:Duh... I didn't see that. Apologies.

Yeah, there are several other new stuff that I didn't pick up on either because it just blended so well. There are things that are questionable on whether it's new or always been there, but I'll watch in a couple of months when someone else will analyze it to shit.

No apologies needed, sir. And I plan on being one of those people who analyzes it to death, perhaps. :D

elbiolin wrote:You let me wondering, so I had to see it again and NO. There's no shot from Deckard's face. Just his back as if he would fell asleep.
I can't see wether his eyes are shut or open on my TV but I can say that it is the Director's Cut. There's no other CUT over here. I saw the european theatrical release on TV back in the eighties but never again.
So where do this shot came from?

The DC version is very different. The FC version is the original version that they had made, lost, recovered, and restored. What you saw in the DC was only a part of it edited back in.

When you said Yahoo, I assumed you meant one of the four preview clips that had been posted of the FC.

For all you nuts out there, one of the shots of him pressing a piano key is replaced by a shot of his face.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

User avatar

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Posts: 1335

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:00 pm

Location: Rochester NY

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:52 am

I just got back from NYC and I am exhausted. Not to mention my Shoulder is killing me from my backpack and this is the third time I have tried to write a review because windows crashed both times I tried before. so my review will have to wait untill tomorrow. Thumbs up for now.
Image
<<

Planta

User avatar

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Posts: 215

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:49 am

Location: Italia

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:17 am

Re: Another "I just saw the Final Cut" topic

deleted wrote:And yes, I told myself I wouldn't, but when we got to the tears in rain scene, I wept.


oh don't worry bro, you're not alone :lol: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Next

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron