FAQ  •  Login

Report from West LA Sector, Los Angeles, 2019 (BR:FC Review)

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

THX1138

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:07 am

msgeek wrote:I've said it before, I'll say it again...could someone give Charles a special "Blade Runner Uber Master" (or whatever) tag? Certainly after accomplishing what he has accomplished, he deserves it. Having him show up as being a mere "Rookie Rep Detect" is so wrong.

Heh. I guess we could do that. I'll try to see what we can do.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Merc

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:15 am

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but was there any slight tweaking to the wording in the opening crawl? I remember a couple discussions here regarding some problems that could arise from it.

Here's a link to the one I was part of:
http://www.bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2235&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=7

The gist of the discussion was, if the ban came about because of the Nexus 6s, and the Blade Runners were created to enforce the ban, why is Deckard not familiar with the 6s?
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:12 am

Thank you for the review Msgeek.

Goes without saying that I really, really, oh so badly wanted to be there too!

Any rumblings of a wider release? I still foolishly hope there will be one..
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:10 am

THX1138 wrote:
msgeek wrote:I've said it before, I'll say it again...could someone give Charles a special "Blade Runner Uber Master" (or whatever) tag? Certainly after accomplishing what he has accomplished, he deserves it. Having him show up as being a mere "Rookie Rep Detect" is so wrong.

Heh. I guess we could do that. I'll try to see what we can do.

I think the BladeZone fans should do this one better, and put our heads together and actually try to *get* Charles something, as a thank-you from all of us. I dunno - a plaque or something, or a BR poster like the one on BladeZone's front page, or a bottle of Dom Perignon, whatever - but something that conveys all of our sincere gratitude for Charles' years of work & tenacity without being tacky about it - no names necessary - just "from the fans at BladeZone." :) If one or more of the BladeZone moderators would be into this idea, and sets up a temporary & secure donation site to send our contributions to, and all of us think of something good, I'm into it for $20. Keep us posted, BladeZone!
<<

starramus

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:10 am

Msgeek that is one marvelously comprehensive review. Have you heard anymore news as to whether the Landmark will extend the showing to a month? I may grab a standby flight. I just can't miss this one.

It would be interesting if someone could get a handle on the traffic at the night showings.
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:05 pm

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:See...that's the slippery slope. You fix one thing, it creates a new problem. It's so easy to undo a tapestry by pulling on one thread. But Zhora did wail on Deckard herself, so it still makes sense since he was tending to his bloody mouth in front of Bryant.

Yeah, it definitely still works, and I'm glad you erred on the side of caution (and Ridley's wishes, of course). The Ultimate Cut is a magnificent job--I can't imagine a better polish!

One more thing...was the background city beyond the Tyrell pyramids (in a couple of shots) digitally enhanced in the FC, or is its increased clarity simply due to the restoration of the original print?
<<

Cold Fish

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Re: Report from West LA Sector, Los Angeles, 2019 (BR:FC Rev

msgeek wrote:The sweetening sort of stopped with the subwoofer track...no real added sub-audio pyrotechnics. There were places where it would have helped...gunshots, particularly Leon's Black Hole Gun, could have used a little subwoofer rumble behind it.

I caught a screening on Friday and feel fairly certain this is due to the theater's sound system. I felt it was a bit flat in terms of range . . . not tinny, it is a nice theater . . . but the bottom end was lacking.
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:35 pm

All right, I finally got to see it today. I agree with every positive review that everyone has shared, so that spares some redundancy.

However, I'll point some extra stuff that people forgot to point out. The addition material (not scenes, but "corrections) are in abundance. They're very minute, but they're there and I happened to catch a few of them.

First, I noticed that when the spinner was entering Tyrell (immediately before Deckard Vking Rachael), they added a city background behind the building. Actually, you see backgrounds/matte paintings a hell of a lot better...to a point where you think they added something.

One comes to mind is the exterior of the Bradbury Building; the one shot where Pris crosses the street or/and Deckard parks his car. The matte painting looks incredibly stunning and 10x more realistic. On other versions, I couldn't pick up building detail or get a sense of depth.

I love the correction with Roy in the phone booth. It doesn't even look like they threw in a background.

Msgeek is right about ADR work. There's a lot background voices and whatnot. Particularly, at Sebastian's place...a lot of whispering.

Another correction that no one picked up is when Deckard is jumps out of the window at JF's and begins to climb up. Then, Roy comes out to watch him. There was a shot in other versions where Deckard was climbing, but Roy was conspicuously absent. That's corrected.

That's all I can add as of right now. The rest is on par with everyone else's review. I've never truly anticipated going to a movie before except today. It didn't hit me until I was in the Lincoln Tunnel on my way and I suddenly felt a rush of excitement. At the end, it was an experience. The crowd was quiet for the most part with very few laughs at key moments, which is good.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:46 pm

I am planning on going going next Saturday. Here are the number so far...

...Warners' rerelease of the remastered sci-fi classic "Blade Runner" rung up $951,000 from Los Angeles and New York exclusives for a fab $47,261 per-screen average.

Looks pretty good for a wider release if you ask me. :D
<<

Brick Deckard

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:49 am

Caught the 10:30 showing at the Landmark last night. It was a sold out showing. My cousin started chanting "Blade Runner!" in line to see if he could get some fans going, but they were all acting serious. My seats were in the last row of the first section and I couldn't have picked any better. There were a few previews, none of which were interesting (except maybe Lions for Lambs), and people were getting antsy by the time they finished. The film started and people started cheering during the opening titles.. Then they began to mock their own cheering, and it was quite funny. When the film actually started things settled down. The digital projection was amazing, it looked like the film was brand new and was just released in 2007. I was just looking all over the place to see take in as much as I can. I was glad to see all the continuity errors were fixed regarding the 6 replicants. However, I'm not sure if I'm still ok with Deckard being a replicant. It just doesn't make sense to me (he isn't as strong and shows alot more emotion than Rachel ever does), and Ridley Scott throwing in a unicorn scene to match with Gaff's origami and adding the glowing eyes to his scene with Rachel seems like a "oh this is how it is now deal with it" moment. That being said, I enjoyed both this cut as well as the original from 82. The voice over isn't really necessary after you've seen the movie a few times, but I can understand where some would prefer it. A few people I went with thought the film was a lot slower without the narration. I agree to a point. I hate some of the old dialog but also think it's informative for new viewers. Too bad the new dvd won't have seamless branching so we can hear the voice over with all the brand new restored scenes. Overall I can say I had a great time and I hope it gets a wider release so other fans all over can see it as well.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:21 pm

The replicants have different strength ratings, and Deck always had the eye-glow shot.

As for the voiceover, its on the two of the other cuts on one of the other discs. This is the final cut, which means nothing but what RS wants.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:48 pm

So Brick, I take it you have not seen the Dirctors Cut from 1992, and only the 1982 versions? If so , you may be of the very few. All versions will be in the Big Disc sets...yes all of them.
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:15 pm

BR:FC reviews AND a brand new Radiohead album (their first in 4 1/2 years) all within the span of one week...I must've died & gone to heaven 8)
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:42 pm

One shot I'm very curious to hear about (whether it made the jump from the WP into the FC or not) is the wide-angle shot over Deckard's shoulder during Batty's death scene, where Gaff's spinner rises from below the building and then flies up and out of the scene.

You already see this same wide angle once in the DC, when Batty dumps Deckard onto the roof and against the corner of the wall. It's the one where Batty is standing above Deckard, and there's a huge TDK sign behind him.

No one's mentioned it so far, so I assume it's been left in the WP...it might have been left out because the movement of Gaff's spinner was so obviously on cables, or that it detracted from the dramatic 'intimacy' of going back and forth between closeups of Deckard and Batty. (I'm definitely glad that other things from the WP have made it into the FC, though, like the hockey mask dancers and the gorgeous crane shot as Deckard leaves the scale-analyst lady's stand...can't believe they ever cut that out in the first place!)
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:06 pm

dmohrUSC wrote:One shot I'm very curious to hear about (whether it made the jump from the WP into the FC or not) is the wide-angle shot over Deckard's shoulder during Batty's death scene, where Gaff's spinner rises from below the building and then flies up and out of the scene.

That shot is not in the FC.
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut