FAQ  •  Login

The 25th Premiere Performance

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:59 pm

Wow! Welcome to the board, Mr. Laurzirika!!! And yes, I see the revelation of the mystery, let's see if the others notice it as well.
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:21 am

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:From my seat at the Venice Film Festival premiere...a standing ovation for Ridley.

NOTE: An ancient Blade Runner mystery is solved somewhere in this photo.

I, too, see the answer to the mystery. Centauro will be very happy to discover this :wink:

Oh, and... Hi, Charles. A very special thank you for all your hard work. :D
Last edited by Gene Ettix on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:22 am

Welcome, and thank you so very much Charles.

So was Ben interviewed for Dangerous Days as well? Is he even still alive? We really can't wait... well we can, but it is really tough :D

Thank you again,
Andy
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:26 am

Unfortunately, Mr. Astar passed away in 1988.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0039954/
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:37 am

Hey Charles. I'm sure you're tired of answering questions all the time,... but since you're here:

Do the hi-def briefcase, and hi-def versions sans the goodies, contain the same material on the discs?
ImageImageImage
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:40 am

We will have to see about getting his IMDB post updated.

I just want to thank you again for all the hard work you put into this, and not giving up on it. You did a mans job sir, sorry for the BR cliche' ;) , but I had to say it. Please come back and visit more often.

Andy
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:56 am

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:From my seat at the Venice Film Festival premiere...a standing ovation for Ridley.

Welcome, Charles, to our wretched hive of scum and villainy...oops, wrong movie... :wink:

Do make yourself at home!
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:06 am

Oh yeah, note to Kipple...perhaps Charles should have a special VIP badge? Having him show up as a "rookie Rep-Detect" on the board is just plain wrong, I think. I'm stumped as to what we should give him as a designation, though. You'll think of something appropriate, I'm sure.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:06 pm

Cool photo, thanks for clearing up the mystery, and thank YOU for all your hard work on Blade Runner. We all sincerely appreciate it, and thank you for taking the time to post here with the rest of us chicken heads. :D

Gene Ettix wrote:Hey Charles. I'm sure you're tired of answering questions all the time,... but since you're here:

Do the hi-def briefcase, and hi-def versions sans the goodies, contain the same material on the discs?

I can confirm that one as a yes. Warner confirmed that one a while ago.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleyville

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:07 pm

Here we go, just want to say that as well a looking out for the obvious changes is also wanted to enjoy watching the movie, so I hope I noticed everything correctly.
We arrived in Venice around 11am on the Thursday and after finding the hotel geared ourselves up for the festival. Not having been to Venice before it was only after the hotel was booked that I found out the festival was not actually on the main island of Venice but a 20 minute waterbus ride to the Island of Lido. We (my son Jamie and I) found the route and braved the very choppy waters to Lido.
On arrival we then got the shuttle bus which was laid on special to the festival area about 10mins away. As we approached it felt quite exciting to think that laying around somewhere near was some filmcans with the Final Cut inside.
The main purpose of the this first visit was to make sure that we knew exactly were to go on the Friday morning to obtain tickets for the Film. The tickets were only available the day prior to the showing and the ticket office opened at 8.30am. We also discovered that there were only about 300 tickets available to the public; the cinema held 1100 so 800 were pre allocated to guests and industry.
Friday morning started at 5.30am and we were on the boat over to Lido by 6am and were at the box office by 6.35am and believe it or not were not first in the queue, there were about 20 people in front of us. But at least we new at this point, unless there was a big problem that even if everybody in the queue wanted to see Blade Runner and had the max of 2 tickets each we would still be in.
We realised that on Saturday morning The Final Cut was being shown to the press so we set the clocks again for 6am and waited around the front of the cinema just in case anyone turned up.
I then spotted Rutger Haur who was taking some pics before he went inside, the following are the pictures I got, sadly though the others went in through another door on the other side.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee217/ridleyville/IMG_1656.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee217/ridleyville/IMG_1655.jpg

After this showing of the film there was the Q&A session that has been posted on youtube.
We had a look round some of the other festival activities and have to say it was a bit of a disappointment, I thought it would be full of merchandising etc but infact there was very little for us Joe public. All the fun and excitement is had by the press and industry in the private areas. We then returned to our hotel for a late breakfast.
Saturday 6pm.
Camera battery check, Empty flashcard check, DVD recorder check, tickets check; we are on our way!
We were in place at the Red carpet by 8.30pm and we were not going to move for anyone, although I can tell you by the end of the night we really had to take firm action to stand our ground.
There was a strict entry time for the film, the doors to the cinema opened 15 mins prior to the film start and would close at 11.59. If you were not there then tuff luck, Ridley and Co were meant to arrive at 11.45 so we reckoned we could stay out front until 11.55.
Problem, it is now 11.50 and no one on the Carpet and we are now panicking that we will have to leave the front and get to the auditorium.
Then it happened really quite quick, there were quite a lot of guests that walked into view that to be quite honest we did not recognise, they were followed by the cars, and before you know they were all there. Jamie took video and I took the stills. At 3 mins to 12 we legged it cameras in hand to the side entrance to the auditorium, we got there just in time but to our horror the 2 security guards (armed believe it or not) that were to check our tickets for entry had a fit when they saw the cameras and we really had to almost brush past them as we put the gear away and defiantly walk on because they looked like they were not going to let us in. We run to the side door and to our amazement just as we were about to go through the doors to the auditorium, Ridley, Daryl, Rutger and Edward were walking right next to us as if we were going in together. Daryl stayed just outside the auditorium door for a few mins talking to reporters with TV cameras with Jamie and myself next to her. We definitely got on TV at that point, we the got moved on into the main auditorium.
We could not believe that we were sitting in the row in front of the reserved seats, just a walkway away. As Ridley and co took there seats everyone was cheering the atmosphere was amazing. The Director of the Festival introduced them all and again there were cheers and clapping, We thought what the hell, Jamie got the video out and I got the camera and we just started to take all we could, it was then that Jamie said ?dad, that?s bloody Richard bloody Gere sitting with Ridley? and it was.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee217/ridleyville/IMG_1797.jpg

Ridley introduced the film and then we got shouted at by the security in the auditorium so had to stop videoing and taking pictures. And so to the film, if you don?t want to know the changes do not go any further.

Cables removed from flying Spinners

Bryant?s office: extra dialogue from Bryant when he is describing Leon, he explains what job he had off world.

Tyrel Corp: Deckerd setting up for VK test with Rachel: Deckard says ?it won?t take long to set up? scene is longer as he fiddles a bit more with the machine.

Thumb removed from Roys shoulder when he is in the phone booth.

Deckards Apartment: When he goes out onto the balcony there is a geisha girl display on the wall in the distance.

Unicorn Scene: Totally different, there is an initial shot of the unicorn in the distance, cut back to Deckards face and then back to the Original Unicorn shot, now at this point I thought the Unicorn made a noise but Jamie was not sure so I will go with him on that one.

Snake scale serial number dialogue has not been corrected

On the way to see the Abdul there is the dancing go-go girls

Dialogue and sync between Deckard and Abdul has been fixed

Zhora death chase: Joanna?s face put on stunt woman

One more kiss dear is still in

Roy says to Tyrell ? More life father? instead of Fxxxxr

Roy crushes Tyrell?s skull and pokes his thumbs right into his eye sockets, actually quite gruesome.

Fight Scene with Pris: Pris after thumping him round the head then picks Deckard up by his nose and then drops him.

Deckard shoots Pris 3 times and is also quite gruesome and rather disturbing because the thrashing about lasts for some time.

Roy pushes the nail right through has hand, as he turns his hand over you see the nail exit the back of his hand

As the Dove flies off there is a new background that matches the location.

And yes there were tears in my eyes.

I loved the film, and it was fantastic to see it on the big screen, there were just a couple of things though and I hate to make a negative comment although I do not think they were actually a problem with the film itself. The auditorium sound system in my mind did not do justice to the sound track in fact it had trouble with the lower frequencies, also if the film was 5.1 it was difficult to tell which was probably down to the same reason but the image was quite soft as well and no way as crisp as the DVD.
The cinema is being pulled down later this year as it was built in 1933 so it could be the projection was not as good as it should have been.
At the end of the day it was a fantastic experience and seeing Blade Runner the Final Cut, Ridley and co and Mr Lauzirika, well it made my day.
Blade Runner the Final Cut. Ticket for 2 inc flights, hotel, etc ?1,300.00. ($2,600.00. )Worth every single penny
Roll on 2019, for that BR Get together.
I am uploading more pictures now and will also get the video on youtube
Last edited by ridleyville on Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More human than human
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:34 pm

Wow, you've done a man's job, Ridleyville! Thanks for the detailed review! And OMG the price of those tickets!!! I'm going to be real content with my DVD briefcase, considering everything.

Hooray to Ridley Scott for keeping his changes to fixing things that needed fixing. I still prefer "more life, f**ker" but oh well, at least he explained himself before it went out. Also he didn't add tons and tons of CGI frou-frou and make Zhora shoot first.

I still am hoping they show it at the Million Dollar Theatre but I would be content to see it at the ArcLight Hollywood. Bring it on, baby!!!
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:25 am

Thank you very much Ridleyville. That was superb. We all appreciate your efforts regarding this. And to hear you had tears in your eyes...then that means what Ridley did was a good and powerful thing.

And very glad to hear the extra IC violence was restored.

I have to ask...how many replicant's did Brynt say got fried running through the electrical field? And when he left the Cambodian lady to go see abul, was there a slow pan up from deckard in the crowd to a neon sign that faded into deckard in another crowd? Oh, and how many times did Pris clap Deck's head?

forgive me, but I am full of questions! :D
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:07 am

I do have one important question for Charles if he ever stops back. Are you sick of Blade Runner yet? ;)

Thank you for the review Ridlyville. Sounds like a great time. I am hoping to go to NYC this October.
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:30 am

Are you sick of Blade Runner yet? :wink:

Never!

It's been fun reading the first few reviews from Venice. I'm thrilled that people really seem to love The Final Cut. But it's interesting that both ridleyville and Mastidon at AICN have gotten a few facts wrong about the changes. (For instance, the VK scene with Deckard and Rachael has NOT been extended. And the snake scale serial number actually HAS been corrected.)

But I don't want to discourage anyone from trying to figure out all the changes. Short of me posting a long list of the exact differences, I doubt anyone will be able to catch them all. And I'm sure that will be part of the fun of The Final Cut. So I'll refrain from commenting much more on initial reviews.

Oh, but deleted, the answers to your questions are: two, yes and two.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:03 am

Thank you sir! :D

I won't lie, I'm giddy again. I think I'm [lame lame lame joke time] Blade Running a fever.
-Ridley Scott
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut