Wow...I guess the interest in this release is climbing . :lol:
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

carson

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:24 pm

Just noticed it is now number "7" in this catagory. This is really shocking to me. Very exciting for a 25 +/- yr. old movie to be this popular.
Also that people are willing to spend the cash to get this edition.
Regards,
Carson
Favorite movie: Blade Runner - Favorite Music: Blade Runner then anything by Vangelis.
<<

undertoe

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:59 am

anyone know if the blu-ray version is region free? Its listed as such, but i want to confirm

Thanks
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:34 am

I'm under the impression that all high def discs are region free...for now.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:09 pm

carson wrote:Just noticed it is now number "7" in this catagory. This is really shocking to me. Very exciting for a 25 +/- yr. old movie to be this popular.
Also that people are willing to spend the cash to get this edition.
Regards,
Carson

All the DVD sites I was keeping watch on in the 1st couple of weeks after the FC became available, were doing even better than this.
Top seller was always the Briefcase, but what kinda shocked me was... Blu-ray.
It was in the top 5 pre-orders for quite a while at various sites.

BTW... I think deleted is correct on the Region-Free issue.
ImageImageImage
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Gene Ettix wrote:but what kinda shocked me was... Blu-ray.

I think the people who bought Playstation 3 would also be prime customers for the Blade Runner Briefcase. Think about it a bit. Early adopter gamer. Probably totally steeped in Sci-Fi and Anime. Knows the historical significance of Blade Runner. Price is no object. It makes sense.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:19 pm

msgeek wrote:
Gene Ettix wrote:but what kinda shocked me was... Blu-ray.

I think the people who bought Playstation 3 would also be prime customers for the Blade Runner Briefcase. Think about it a bit. Early adopter gamer. Probably totally steeped in Sci-Fi and Anime. Knows the historical significance of Blade Runner. Price is no object. It makes sense.

I think you hit the nail on the head, msgeek... but I think it's more than that, also.
I'm no fanboy and don't care about the so-called "Format War"(HDDVD VS. Blu-ray), but I do like to keep an eye on it. Without trying to open-up a can o' worms on the subject,.. A very interesting choice on the part of Steven Spielberg is, He will be releasing "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" in the spring exclusively on DVD & Blu-ray. :-k hmmm
ImageImageImage
<<

TechFalcon

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:16 pm

Couldn't that be because it was a Columbia release, though? Isn't Columbia part of Sony Pictures?
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:05 pm

TechFalcon wrote:Couldn't that be because it was a Columbia release, though? Isn't Columbia part of Sony Pictures?

Yes, it is.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:57 pm

Well, to be honest, I expected (and knew) someone would say that so, Greetings TechFalcon... welcome. But I didn't think someone would respond so quickly... Especially their 1st post. Cans of worms usually do that, I guess. :)
With that being said: I'm still surprised about it. (along with alot of other articles online)
ImageImageImage
<<

TechFalcon

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:51 pm

Haha, I couldn't resist. Greets all.

Anyways, something else that I thought might be of interest in all this is also to consider the fact that you can get the five disc set minus the briefcase goodies for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, but not for regular DVD. So if the DVD version is the one that's so high up on the sales list, that would mean that the PS3 doesn't really factor in that much.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:06 pm

The non-briefcase five disc HD-DVD and Blue-ray sets do not contain the same material as the Deluxe Briefcase sets. They contain the same material as the 4 Disc DVD sets, they just need 5 discs to fit the HD version of the material on them. At least that is what it looks like to me.
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:39 pm

TechFalcon wrote: So if the DVD version is the one that's so high up on the sales list, that would mean that the PS3 doesn't really factor in that much.

Actually, I was talking about the Blu-ray versions being the hot-seller in hi-def disc.

@ ridleynoir: *scratches head* Ya know, ya might have sumpin' there :-s
ImageImageImage
<<

TechFalcon

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:52 pm

Oh. :oops:

My bad. Do continue.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:32 pm

I think the main reason Blue-ray is selling so well right now is that the only people who have shelled out for the HDTV sets are the Techie and Videophiles as yet. They are the ones that still have their laser disc players and Betamax players as well.

Untill the TVs come down in price even more, and the format wars have finally declared a victor, I don't think the the average Joe is willing to spend his dough (especially in this time of slow economy) on any of it.

Both Beta and Laser disc players were still being made untill just a few years ago, but only a few (mostly in Japan) were buying them. If Sony and Blue-ray want to win this war they need to lower their prices and then they will K.O. HD-DVD.

I think the average person is still pretty happy with DVD and it's super low prices. I remember people still having only B+W TVs up untill the 80's. I also know people who have only just bought their first DVD player. Only super low prices will get the majority of people to do any upgrading at this point. Untill then, the few buying the HD sets are most likely going to spring for the best, not the cheapest.

If Sony should offer their TV's at discount and with a rebate on the players, HD-DVD will sing it death song. Microsoft is just trying to keep the format wars going on untill their download service takes hold. This story is far from over or even anywhere near midpoint. It can go either way. It could also be stuck in the mud and going nowhere.
Next

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut