FAQ  •  Login

You gonna get spoiled?

Moderator: dmohrUSC

You gonna get spoiled?

Yep! Spoil me!
40%
Nope! I'm waitin' for the whole enchilada!
20%
How can you possibly expect me to make up my mind about something like this???
40%

Total votes : 10
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:17 pm

You gonna get spoiled?

Soooo... pretty soon now, real details about our beloved Blade Runner: Final Cut are going to begin to surface. In fact, just last night, I dreamed that I was entering a home entertainment store, and they had the BR:FC dvd menu looping on a big screen. I remember covering my eyes and thinking, "No, I can't look at it 'til I get my copy home, to experience it all at once!" (little detail: in my dream, the menu featured a scene of Deckard standing on a pool table fending off replicants with a lightsaber, which just goes to show I'm not psychic! :P ).

But back on topic.

By now, we've seen a lot of our favourite films 'special'-ized. Star Wars, I'd pretty much heard about all the changes before going in (that's pre-internet for me!). Alien, my second-favourite movie, I followed like a hawk, and was once again ready for about 85% of what the DC was. THX-1138, another favourite, I similarly spoiled for myself.

But now we're talking about Blade Runner. My favourite movie. I can't figure out if I want to enjoy the thrill of discovering each new juicy tidbit on the net, or wait for the rush of it all at once! I was so hyped for the Director's Cut in '92, saw it at the Toronto Film Festival (with Ridley Scott in attendance), but was actually disappointed because I thought the changes would be more significant. Now, we know that they probably will be.

So what are you guys gonna do?

Get spoiled, or wait it out?
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:24 am

It's a hard choice. I'd like to have the option of knowing. Thus, I'd like to learn of some of tid-bits...but not everything, until I sit down to watch this for the first time. :D
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:58 pm

Re: You gonna get spoiled?

I. J. Thompson wrote:(little detail: in my dream, the menu featured a scene of Deckard standing on a pool table fending off replicants with a lightsaber, which just goes to show I'm not psychic! :P ).

That. Is awesome.

Details on the Final Cut? Spoil the sh*t out of me! :D
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:09 pm

i guess i would have liked to have heard that more scenes were shot for the film. that said, im of the opinion that extensive scenes have been added that were never used.

who knows, but i would like to hear more of this `treasure trove` that they found in the vaults of burbank.
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:49 am

nails6365 wrote:i guess i would have liked to have heard that more scenes were shot for the film. that said, im of the opinion that extensive scenes have been added that were never used.

who knows, but i would like to hear more of this `treasure trove` that they found in the vaults of burbank.

What treasure trove?
-Ridley Scott
<<

Ed9960

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:02 am

deleted wrote:What treasure trove?

The box of additional BR material and what not that had been marked down for disposal for years... without it I guess there wouldn't really be much of a special edition on the cards.

As for the release, I'm probably gonna wait it out. I don't want to find out so much that it ends up nullifying the experience. I already know that it's not gonna disappoint, so I needn't know much more than that... :)
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:25 pm

deleted wrote:What treasure trove?

Ed9960 wrote:The box of additional BR material and what not that had been marked down for disposal for years... without it I guess there wouldn't really be much of a special edition on the cards.

Yeah, I think what nails6365 is refering to was mentioned in "Future Noir".

Ed9960 wrote:As for the release, I'm probably gonna wait it out. I don't want to find out so much that it ends up nullifying the experience. I already know that it's not gonna disappoint, so I needn't know much more than that... :)

I like how you underlined probably... Not sure I believe you :P :^o Anyway... Welcome, Ed. :)

Initially, I was patient. I always am with any DVD I get. Never watch the bonus material etc. Even if I've seen the movie before. Try to keep it fresh. But this is BLADE RUNNER! I can't stand it. Keeping my eyes and ears open for anything, really. Guess I'll choose the 3rd choice on the poll.
ImageImageImage
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:39 pm

deleted wrote:
nails6365 wrote:i guess i would have liked to have heard that more scenes were shot for the film. that said, im of the opinion that extensive scenes have been added that were never used.

What treasure trove?

The mother of all bladerunner stories goes like this - Upon (someone) visiting the vaults at burbank, a box was found of all the blade runner off cuts and unused material etc. This `treasure trove` or holy grail as also told, was marked for disposal years and years ago yet somehow was never destroyed. lucky for us..

if anybody can clarify this or elaborate - please do.
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:34 pm

This is different than the story where the one fellow found the workprint reel, right?
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:54 pm

In the BladeZone Douglas Trumbull Interview he talks about finding a bunch of unused FX and footage...

But, a few scenes that Ridley shot that were never put in the film. And those are now buried in the vaults in the middle of a very long arduous legal battle that?s been going on since 1983 probably. They finally got this footage released, and that?s what drove this new re-release of Blade Runner. It will have all the new footage in it. One of the sad things that happened when they ran out of money, and pulled the plug on the production, was that we had produced all the visual effects for this movie in 70 mm. Where as the rest of the movie was shot in 35. And we had plans to optically reduce all the 70 mm to the finest looking 35 mm film anybody has ever seen. We had built a very expensive lens to do just this one thing. When the studio pulled the film, they took the film to the lab they did a really lousy optical reduction of the 65mm to 35mm, which went out of focus. And that?s been with the movie ever since. That?s what you see here. I have the original 65mm shots. They have been in vaults, been in my garage, downstairs in our office. There?re sitting next to my desk at this moment. I?m hopefully going to be taking them out to Los Angeles in a couple weeks. And they will be re-integrated into the new Final Cut of the movie. So, you will see something of the movie that you have never seen before. It?ll be gratifying for those of us that are still alive who worked on this movie."

http://media.bladezone.com/contents/fan ... g/doug.php
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:30 am

God.

To all those who keep thinking that this Final cut will just be the DC with new footage...

God. I'm really f*cking happy this is my favorite movie.

Oh, thanks for pointing out the quote.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:46 am

ridleynoir wrote:In the BladeZone Douglas Trumbull Interview he talks about finding a bunch of unused FX and footage...

But, a few scenes that Ridley shot that were never put in the film. And those are now buried in the vaults in the middle of a very long arduous legal battle that?s been going on since 1983 probably. They finally got this footage released, and that?s what drove this new re-release of Blade Runner. It will have all the new footage in it. One of the sad things that happened when they ran out of money, and pulled the plug on the production, was that we had produced all the visual effects for this movie in 70 mm. Where as the rest of the movie was shot in 35. And we had plans to optically reduce all the 70 mm to the finest looking 35 mm film anybody has ever seen. We had built a very expensive lens to do just this one thing. When the studio pulled the film, they took the film to the lab they did a really lousy optical reduction of the 65mm to 35mm, which went out of focus. And that?s been with the movie ever since. That?s what you see here. I have the original 65mm shots. They have been in vaults, been in my garage, downstairs in our office. There?re sitting next to my desk at this moment. I?m hopefully going to be taking them out to Los Angeles in a couple weeks. And they will be re-integrated into the new Final Cut of the movie. So, you will see something of the movie that you have never seen before. It?ll be gratifying for those of us that are still alive who worked on this movie."

Yes, yes! That's the story I was remembering :D
ridleynoir - Thank you so much for reminding me. To anyone who has yet to read this article/interview, use the link ridleynoir provided and read all 7 pages. IMO, it's one of BZ's best offerings ever.
Trumbull is a God O:)
ImageImageImage
<<

The Abyss Gazes Also

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:50 am

I've waited for this since the (personally disappointing) Director's Cut - I can wait a little longer to savor this experience without being spoiled. I guess I'm not a spoiler kind of guy. I like news. I really like speculation. I dislike having the full story or even knowing major points before I even see a film. :evil:

I didn't even watch the AFI ad.
"It would only take a nudge to make you like me; to push you out of the light."

The Abyss Gazes Also
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:50 pm

Gene Ettix wrote:
ridleynoir wrote:In the BladeZone Douglas Trumbull Interview he talks about finding a bunch of unused FX and footage...

Yes, yes! That's the story I was remembering :D
ridleynoir - Thank you so much for reminding me. To anyone who has yet to read this article/interview, use the link ridleynoir provided and read all 7 pages. IMO, it's one of BZ's best offerings ever.
Trumbull is a God O:)

Thank you Gene Ettix! A lot of work went into that piece.
( Also available here. )
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:09 pm

I really appreciate the effort that gets put into the work here. I'll take another look at that article this week.
-Ridley Scott
Next

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut