Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:48 pm

New to the Forum--Blade Runner Fan Film

Hi All!

I'm new to this forum but I wanted to announce that there is a BR Fan Film in the works. I was contacted by a small film company in Florida to do the CG work on a Blade Runner fan film called "Blade Runner: The Inspector"
Instead of Los Angeles, it takes place in MetroTampa: 2019. I posted some images in a forum thread over at 3D Gladiators, but since this site is devoted entirely to Blade Runner I though it would be cool to keep you all updated. :)

You can read the complete thread over at 3D Gladiators
http://www.3dgladiators.com/forums/show ... adid=20533

Here is the latest Render of the MetroTampa cityscape:

Do you think there should be more definition to the clouds? The fire busts were difficult to achive as the fog kept blanking them out. I think I also need to add more transparency/translucency to the blimp spotlights

I've also been Working on more new models:

An Alfa Romero Spinner:

and a group test of some vehicles in progress:

Eventually I will need to complete these vehicles:

here is a test AVI of my new Off World Blimp model(4.1MB download):

http://www.seansgallery.com/mods/blimp.avi

Here is a test render of the city approach (BIG! 12.3MB download):
http://www.seansgallery.com/mods/test1.avi

and here is a smaller version with some credits added in (2.4 MB doawnload)
http://www.seansgallery.com/mods/BR%20Fanfilm%20Opening%20Credits.wmv

Other works will be added later. If you'd like to get involved, please let me know.

As always, Comments welcome...Suggestions even more welcome.... :)
Welcome to the Treybortorium! Rooms are $100 a night, but padded cells are free....
<<

glacial906

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:19 pm

:!: Dude, that's awesome. Is it a fully CGI movie, or does it have mainly live actors with some CG added for effects? Your cityscape looks very good; although I would add a little bit more emphasis to the clouds, as you said. Can you tell me any more about the plot?

I'm studying 3D animation in school, but I'm at a very basic level right now. What application did you use? I'm only familiar with Cinema 4D, but I've worked a little bit with 3D Studio Max. Damn I wish I were better at it!!! If I were I might take you up on the offer to help out. But, like I said I'm nowhere near at the level I need to be on, to make effects for movies.

It's still cool that you guys decided to do this, I had a friend a while back who worked on a Star Wars fan film. Keep us updated, definitely.

All those...moments...lost. Like...tears...in...rain.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:06 pm

Very nice...liked the weyland yutani sign

the over all city and sky looked a little too grey...what about some of that pollution reddish or purplish haze that city's have?(see above at BR cityscape)
<<

BR12819

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:18 am

yes i too am impressed and also curious is there any live action?
Holden:"It's a wipe out, they're almost us!"
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:44 am

BR12819---Actually 90% of it will be live action. The other 10% will be CGI

ridleynoir---I wanted the haze to be more smoggy but the director wants it to be more fog like since Tampa get lots of fog.

This was my first render of the city:
http://www.seansgallery.com/cgi-bin/showpicture.cgi?picture=tampa1&menu=34

BTW more images can be found at my website:
http://www.seansgallery.com

glacial906 -- I use Lightwave and MAX 4 --but mostly LW :)
The plot is basically this: Two Blade Runners working on an important case have an inspector from internal affairs following them around. They have to justify the way the handle the replicant problem, and justify their own jobs.... That's about all the plot I can give away without ruining the story :)

I can tell you that there will be lots of replicant vs human action.
:twisted:

If you want to help:

Where are you located? If you are in Florida you migh be able to help with actual live action filming.

Do you do CGI or Matte painting? Presently I'm doing all of it. I'm up to the task, but I only have two computers and the rendering time will be the bottle neck for me. I might also like some help with meshes as well.

If you have reference materials for the original Blade Runner -- that's always helpful... :)

What skills do you have? Let me know and we'll work something out. Anyone who contributes will be listed in the credits!

Treybor
Welcome to the Treybortorium! Rooms are $100 a night, but padded cells are free....
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:58 am

if you didnt already know, therea another fan film, www.titanpictures.com. im helping out with this one, im working on the story and CGI. nice to hear about a second movie in progress. it looks very very good. is there any way we can maybe borrow some spinner models for our project?

tampa florida? i used to live very close to there.
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 pm

THX1138 : no I didn't know there was another fan film out there. I lke the concept. What CG program are you using?

If you want to borrow the spinner, that's cool as long as you post credits in the film for me.
You can download the spinner Lightwave mesh from:
http://scifi3d.theforce.net/list.asp?intGenreID=11&intCatID=23
In fact there are a lot of meshes there you might want to check out.
>Chews
>Police Station
>Parking light
>Esper Machine
>Gun Shack
>etc........

May I use your utility vehichle concept? the one by BR26354? It's a nice design and shouldn't take too long to model.
http://www.titanpictures.com/bladerunner/

Let me know. :)

Treybor
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:39 pm

Some more updates in case anyone is interested.... :)

Another render of the cars I'm building.
Added a new cab and a red truck...kind of a nod to another cult film :)

The first building in the waterfront complex:

And a render of the mid level city:

Comments always welcome!
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:50 pm

what the titan pictures movie needs is more CG spinners, not buildings or utilities.

as for credit, yeah sure, i have no problem with it. its not my project though, its Patryk Wawer's. i think he'll be very glad to give gredit where it's due if we use anybody else's models.

as for software, im using Maya 4. i used to use 3ds max 2.5, but moved over since 3ds max stoppe working on my pc. but from what i see, maya is better than 3ds max, more professional and more features.

very nice images. that mid-city one is a bit dark though, you cant really see the surrounding buildings.
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:33 pm

I get that complaint alot. The LCDs on my home and work systems are much brighter than most PC's. I need to remember to render the scenes about 10% brighter.
<<

Patryk Wawer

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:00 pm

This looks really good, i've seen your work before Sean, i was impressed.
i used some of your work as inspiration and as concept art for the LBR project. Although i try to have as many our own models in the movie.

You know, we could exange some models or concepts :)

The movie we are making is fully cgi, but we try to keep the amount of polys not to high,
for example your spinner is over 100.000 poly this is something i can't agree with. we got a police spinner (still in progress) which will be little over 40.000 poly.

Treybor if you d'like we can have a conversation in LBR online production office,
htt://www.titanpictures.com/chitchat
Last edited by Patryk Wawer on Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:41 pm

a CGI models exchange, lol. well patryk, we do have a deadline, and it'd be nice to get as many models as possible withint that deadline, and any models would be nice.

Patryk: just let me know if you exchange any.
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:50 pm

Most of the vehichles I am creating have a medium to high number of polys. The buildings and such have a low-poly count (except for the ones used in close-in shots).

An example of some of the vehicle meshes:
Alfa Romero Spinner: High Poly version--45,000
Med poly version--19,900

Metrokab: High Poly version--45,000
Med poly version--29,500

Police sedan: High Poly version--25,000
Med poly version--12,500

Brown sedan: High Poly version--20,000
Med poly version--12,000

Off-world Blimp:High Poly version--55,000

Exchanges are good. :)
<<

Patryk Wawer

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:13 pm

The buildings and such have a low-poly count (except for the ones used in close-in shots

same as we, for the hades we got most models that are less as 1000 poly.
however i don't want to show off here what we got, please Treybor register at our forum so i can give you acces to some images.

Exchanges are good.

great, i hope we got some usefull things for you, however we started with creating the models but have not really much, but it comes.
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:19 pm

I will soon.
Next

Return to Blade Runner Round Table