FAQ  •  Login

New to the Forum--Blade Runner Fan Film

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:27 pm

Hello all. Just another post to show off the highway knot section of the city. This is one of the sets to be used in the openning sequence.
Some textures done by Topias Salonen. Smaller City Block buildings by Francesco Navarro

Comments always welcome. :)
Welcome to the Treybortorium! Rooms are $100 a night, but padded cells are free....
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:57 pm

ya know treybor, you make nice desktop wallpapers, lol. very cool. this one is my new default background image...excelent work.

hey, after youre done with the movie, you should sell the props , lo.. i know i'd buy one of those weyland boxes, lol. those are cool "weyland space corp.". shipping that thing would be easy...and freaky to the mailman.

i feel discriminated against :-(. im using maya, and there's no pre-tetured spinner models for maya, i have one from some guy who did the spinner CGI graphics for this bladezone site and it's in .3ds and .max format. there's one on scifi3d.theforce.net for lightwave...what about maya? can someone export them to .obj or .mb...or any of the default maya formats?

this is the 3rd time i've edited this post. where do you get your chinese/japanese/konji writings? my brother knows chinese and japanese, so im sure i can borrow some of his dictionaries and write some stuff for advertisements, and you could model them in. i was thinking easter eggs, like one ad. saying "ridley-vision" or origina blade runner stuff. any need for this?
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:13 pm

THX1138 wrote:i feel discriminated against :-(. im using maya, and there's no pre-tetured spinner models for maya, i have one from some guy who did the spinner CGI graphics for this bladezone site and it's in .3ds and .max format. there's one on scifi3d.theforce.net for lightwave...what about maya? can someone export them to .obj or .mb...or any of the default maya formats?

I believe I have a tool which will export the file to a MAYA format, but I have no way of knowing if the textures get exported as well. I don't have MAYA to test with. If you like I can try exporting it in MAYA format, but I cannot guarentee the textures will be associated properly. I can include them if you like, or you can download the LW version from Sci-fi3D and use those textures. Let me know if you'd like me to try....

THX1138 wrote:this is the 3rd time i've edited this post. where do you get your chinese/japanese/konji writings? my brother knows chinese and japanese, so im sure i can borrow some of his dictionaries and write some stuff for advertisements, and you could model them in. i was thinking easter eggs, like one ad. saying "ridley-vision" or origina blade runner stuff. any need for this?

All of the writings come from the following sources:
--Production images from the film
--Screen captures from the film
--Screen captures from the game
--Photos of Hong Kong
--Photos of Los Angeles
--Photos of Times Squre, NY
--Production images from movie props

If you can provide translations that would be cool. I need some phrases in Chinese and/or Japanese Scripts:

1) Fujiyama Rice Candies
2) Soylent Green is a people food
3) Geisha 3003: A Ridley Scott film
4) Cafe Flesh - Located in downtown
5) Cafe Chrome - A Shrine to Hajime Sorayama

Anything else you think might be funny is always usable. :)
Welcome to the Treybortorium! Rooms are $100 a night, but padded cells are free....
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:29 pm

will do. ill try and get my bro. to translate those into chinese. japanese doesnt look as fancy like chinese does. ill see what he can do.

accidental double post. can a mod. delete this please?
Last edited by THX1138 on Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:31 pm

will do. ill try and get my bro. to translate those into chinese. japanese doesnt look as fancy like chinese does. ill see what he can do.

well, maya can only IMPORT .obj, .mb, .mov (not quicktime, maya movie), and .dxf, but it can EXPORT to a bunch of other formats. so if you can export it, to keep textures, it needs to be in the .mb format. that's the only maya format that contains textures. .obj is the same as .dxf, just the shapes and no colors or textures.
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:42 pm

I'll giveit a try.
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:57 am

yeah, thanks. currently, im importing the .3ds spinner (i converted it to .dxf) into maya, and recoloring and retexturing it. im making the entire thing the default blue color, and then texturing only what is needed. but if you can find a way to export it to maya while retaining the textures, that would be awsome.
<<

Eli Booker

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:05 pm

THX1138 wrote:ya know treybor, you make nice desktop wallpapers, lol. very cool. this one is my new default background image...excelent work.

Yup, I have the same thing, just made it my background desktop image!! :) I have already had seven people from work as me what the hell it is too.

The image just sucks you right in.
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:49 pm

my little brothers were hypnotized by it...they were just like "i dont know what it is, but its the coolest thing i've ever seen anywhere". if your movie is going to be anything like that one "wallpaper" still, we're in for a treat.
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:22 pm

all the visual atmospheric and lighting effects for that scene are exactly as they will appear in the scene. :)

in the end there will be blinking lights, moving spinners, moving train, aninmated billboards, and much, much more.... :twisted:

I just hope my render systems survive. I have 3 more films after this to work on as well.... :shock:

To reduce rendering time, a lot of it will be done in layers...:)
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:13 pm

THX1138,

I was able to use Deep Exploration to convert the Lightwave mesh of the spinner to Maya format. From what I can tell in DE the mesh looks pretty clean except for a few textures. If you like, I can post the zip file for you to download and try out.
<<

BR796164

Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:51 am

Boy... I am amazed! :shock:

This is certainly worth of close watching!

(Imagines a new BR game with graphics like those)
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:02 pm

BR796164

Thanks for the high praise, but I think four fan films will be aenough for me...... :shock:
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:55 pm

thanks. could you post the model to scifi3d.theforce.net? or do they not like maya there? i took the .3ds one i got (not the same one as yours) and got it to maya .obj format with no textures. i then got your textures, and retextured the whole ting, so now i have a textured one, but it's definitely not like the original lightwave one. your spinner is waaaay different from the one i have. youre is more detailed, and is better. the one i have is less detailed, so the textures dont fit perfectly.

if you cant post it to scifi3d.theforce.net, ill just download the .zip fle.

im getting really ahead in maya, im learning tons (i mean TONS) of stuff, like the other day i just learned to texture, no i learned how to smooth things, maya is my new program for 3D.

ive been planning on making a small "music video" to one of vangelis' songs, but never got around to it. ive got the models and stuff all in 3ds max, but now that im starting over in maya, things are going to be a lot easier and faster. instead of a music video, i just might make a CGI LEGO remake of 2001, or Tron. but this, or course, is all coming after the titan pictures movie. i cant be starting one thing and not finishing it, like my techincal manual project, lol. that WILL be finished when i have time. right now, CGI modeling for the TP movie is taking some time, along with the concept art.

enough babbling, if you need any of my models you see on the LBR forums, just let me know and ill see if patryk is ok with letting you have it for your movie. or course, most of my buildings are background ones, not highly detailed high poly. ones to be used a hero shots. they are still very good though.
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:08 pm

THX1138,

I sent the zip file url to you in a private message. for now just download it from there.

George/ZOO at Scifi3d is very particular about what models he posts on his site.
PreviousNext

Return to Blade Runner Round Table