FAQ  •  Login

New to the Forum--Blade Runner Fan Film

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:17 pm

UPDATE! just some composited renders from the new clips I've been working onthis weekend...

I've been experimenting with some scenes, trying to create some good CG mat paintings. I used some buildings from photos and other CG to composite a background skylin. I simulated the lighting so it would look more like the George Michael CG city (although my version is a lot redder and darker...).
http://www.seansgallery.com/newpics/layerC191.jpg
That paricular scene has about 13 layers of renders in the background. 50% borrowed buildings and 50% rendered buildings in the background.

Another shot (http://www.seansgallery.com/newpics/scrollA009.jpg) is 1/3 of a scrolling shot I'm still rendering the third layer of. It also contains a composited CG background mat painting with my own lighting. that scene will be a panning shot we have planned.
Welcome to the Treybortorium! Rooms are $100 a night, but padded cells are free....
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:36 am

awsome. im not the director or anything, but i think for the darker scenes like the one with the off-world sign, you should add some rain and a little smoke to act like sort of a grain effect. it looks too much like cgi without any realistic elements like that.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:34 am

Yum yum yum...
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:12 pm

THX1138 wrote:awsome. im not the director or anything, but i think for the darker scenes like the one with the off-world sign, you should add some rain and a little smoke to act like sort of a grain effect. it looks too much like cgi without any realistic elements like that.

We are working on that...debating on whether or not to create the effect in Lightwave or in Alum Video Editor. Lots of post production work left to do.....
Welcome to the Treybortorium! Rooms are $100 a night, but padded cells are free....
<<

THX1138

Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:21 pm

yeah. for rain and stuff i'd use the video editors and add a foreground filter. saves render time and it looks just as good. same with smoke and stuff, if it can be done in an editor, and it looks just as good (or nearly as good) do it. whatever saves render time.
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:53 am

Hi guys!
I just wanted to show off something I worked on yesterday:

I got a new Blade Runner book that shows much more detail on the blimp; I remodeled it a bit and added more details. Still not entirely happy with the surface texture. Tried for the look of wet rubber.

Also a little video snippet using the new mesh.
there are two versions posted---

Large resolution compressed (28MB)
http://www.seansgallery.com/mods/brad_blimp.avi

Small resolution compressed (9.1MB)
http://www.seansgallery.com/mods/brad_blimp2.avi

Enjoy!
<<

THX1138

Post Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:37 pm

looks cool. i just got to thinking though, why are you guys using the off-world blimp in tampa? you'd think that would be something used in LA or new york because those are two very populated cities, much more than tampa or chicago. it's just making it look like there's a blimp in every city around the US.

also, i just noticed this. all your buildings' advertisements are arranged in the same position as the original Los Angeles Blade Runner, from the same camera angles. the off-world sign to the right, the pan am sign in the left back of the screen. its all way too familiar. is this the final angle for the final cut? or are you going to change camera angles or ad positions?

-second edit-
i have the blimp sounds from the game if you dont already have those. there's a lot of different variations in the ads, so there's more than what you hear in the movie.
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:22 pm

THX1138 wrote:looks cool. i just got to thinking though, why are you guys using the off-world blimp in tampa? you'd think that would be something used in LA or new york because those are two very populated cities, much more than tampa or chicago. it's just making it look like there's a blimp in every city around the US.

IMHO: Every large city in the world should have an Off-World Blimp. Why?
A) Off-World is a mega corporation which owns a good chuck of known space.

B) MetroTampa is a mega city. In our storyline it became that way because it was one of the few remaining ports and space-ports.

C) All cities would have blimps, but they might have different ads.--which we are working on.

THX1138 wrote:also, i just noticed this. all your buildings' advertisements are arranged in the same position as the original Los Angeles Blade Runner, from the same camera angles. the off-world sign to the right, the pan am sign in the left back of the screen. its all way too familiar. is this the final angle for the final cut? or are you going to change camera angles or ad positions?

A) Not all the scenes are cut that way. Only the scene with the billboard fly-by has this similarity, and we are olny using it for the upcoming trailer and first episode to give the trailer a familiar touch.

B) Yes. There will be many other scenes all done from different angles. I only have the storyboards for episode one and part of two. :D

C) We will be going for the "familiar yet different" feel for the film.:D

THX1138 wrote:i have the blimp sounds from the game if you dont already have those. there's a lot of different variations in the ads, so there's more than what you hear in the movie.

Yes. I also extracted those sounds a long time ago, but thanks for offering. :D

We have some ads of our own we also intend to use:
A) Busch Gardens futuristic theme park ad

B) Soylent Green food products

C) Geisha 3003 - a new film by Ridley Scott

D) etc.
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:32 pm

And a quick weekend update:

the new version f the metrotampa skyline....

talked to the director, and he wants the towers in the forground removed...

he's also battening down the hatches in preparation for the latest hurricane hiting Florida....
<<

Patryk Wawer

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:05 pm

talked to the director, and he wants the towers in the forground removed...

They look too odd for the rest and make this a unbalanced composition, especially the one of the left.
I find that the both flames look too big.
Other than that it's a marvelous job there!
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:05 am

Patryk Wawer wrote:They look too odd for the rest and make this a unbalanced composition, especially the one of the left.
I find that the both flames look too big.
Other than that it's a marvelous job there!

Thanks Patryk!
<<

Carbon Copy

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:31 pm

Overall work and effort shown: impressive 8)

How big is your budget for this project?

Do you or anyone involved get paid for your work?

Are you still looking for live actors/extras etc?
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:33 pm

Carbon Copy wrote:Overall work and effort shown: impressive 8)

Thank you. :D

Carbon Copy wrote:How big is your budget for this project?

I think we've probably spent about $2000-3000 out of pocket.

Carbon Copy wrote:Do you or anyone involved get paid for your work?

Nope. All work is pro-bono.

Carbon Copy wrote:Are you still looking for live actors/extras etc?

If you live in the tampa, Florida area...then possibly. Contact us at sean@seansgallery.com
<<

Carbon Copy

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:30 am

I would love to definitely help out in anyway however I live too far away.

Would it be ok to pass on the contact info to a few ppl who would be interested in being a live actor/extra on your set who actually live near Tampa Bay. I am not sure where Orlando and St. Petersburg is in relation to TB. Someone wrote to me that a fellow in St. Peterburg would be great. Anyway if he is really interested he may contact you if this is ok. Do you have the deadline for reaching you if you still need ppl?

If you do know others who may need actors/extras for film let me know.

Thanks very much and I truly want to see the finished product when it comes out.
<<

Treybor

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:46 am

Carbon Copy wrote:I would love to definitely help out in anyway however I live too far away.

Would it be ok to pass on the contact info to a few ppl who would be interested in being a live actor/extra on your set who actually live near Tampa Bay. I am not sure where Orlando and St. Petersburg is in relation to TB. Someone wrote to me that a fellow in St. Peterburg would be great. Anyway if he is really interested he may contact you if this is ok. Do you have the deadline for reaching you if you still need ppl?

If you do know others who may need actors/extras for film let me know.

Thanks very much and I truly want to see the finished product when it comes out.

If you have someone else in mind in the Tampa area I'd be glad to pass that info on. either PM me or send an e-mail. :)

Quick Update Image
PreviousNext

Return to Blade Runner Round Table