Question about Deckards knowledge of the Nexus 6

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

disposablehero

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:47 pm

Question about Deckards knowledge of the Nexus 6

Im new to this forum but definetly not Blade Runner or this web site.

My knowledge of the film is fairly vast ( yes I have read Future Noir) but a question remains. In the opening paragraph of the movie it specifically states " after a bloody mutiny by Nexus 6, replicant were declared illegal on earth". Clear enough. But when Bryant briefs Deckard on the escaped reps in the beginning of the movie he explains to Deck what Nexus 6 are. This has always seemed a little strange considering Deckard is a veteran BR.( I know that this dialogue was inserted to inform the audience that Nexus 6 Reps have 4 year life spans etc. but Deckards ignorance seems out of context) Thoughts?
<<

BR12819

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:07 am

very interesting i really didnt give it much thought there could be a few reasons one:(most reasonable) this was added after the film was finished if you do remember there were two versions one was the excerpt from the dictionary and the one you refer to. two:dekard had quit before the introduction of the nexus 6, but this is somewhat unlikely and three: deck is a rep himself and when they gave him his memories they didn't tell him about the sixes which is even more unlikely

welcome to the forums!
Holden:"It's a wipe out, they're almost us!"
<<

BR796164

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:24 am

VERY GOOD QUESTION, disposablehero.
It was bugging me for years.
<<

The Dark Knight

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:53 am

I always just presumed that Deck was 'out of the loop' so to speak..his character as a Blade Runner I always felt was less set in stone than Gaffs for example, more weather worn and rebellious. But he still doesn't want to be 'little people'..
<<

Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:35 pm

i always saw it as a combo of Deckard being updated on his old profession, and the fact that the audience simply needed to know.
Gaff: "You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you are through?"

Deckard: "Finished".
<<

Patryk Wawer

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:49 pm

Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349 wrote:i always saw it as a combo of Deckard being updated on his old profession, and the fact that the audience simply needed to know.

I also thought the same.
It was to make it more clear for the audience. However Deck talks with Tyrrel also about the four years life span.

Edit,

I've messed it up.
It was McCoy who talks with Tyrell about the four year. It was in the Westwood game.
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:34 pm

Re: Question about Deckards knowledge of the Nexus 6

disposablehero wrote:Im new to this forum but definetly not Blade Runner or this web site.

My knowledge of the film is fairly vast ( yes I have read Future Noir) but a question remains. In the opening paragraph of the movie it specifically states " after a bloody mutiny by Nexus 6, replicant were declared illegal on earth". Clear enough. But when Bryant briefs Deckard on the escaped reps in the beginning of the movie he explains to Deck what Nexus 6 are. This has always seemed a little strange considering Deckard is a veteran BR.( I know that this dialogue was inserted to inform the audience that Nexus 6 Reps have 4 year life spans etc. but Deckards ignorance seems out of context) Thoughts?
:idea: :arrow: go to the subject ("questions" and ans..for replicants and men) ......see what u think about my answers under the subject answer labled should've been? views for yous.. ....What i wrote is very lenthy .scrole down ,u can't miss it.. lol
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:46 pm

go to the subject entitled ("questions "and answ..for replicants and men)scrole down to my possible views ,a cassarole of words, under the subject answer ..should've been ? views for yous.. YOU CAN'T miss it lol :lol: these are answ. possible for the movie.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: Question about Deckards knowledge of the Nexus 6

protectadeck wrote:
disposablehero wrote:Im new to this forum but definetly not Blade Runner or this web site.

:idea: :arrow: go to the subject ("questions" and ans..for replicants and men) ......see what u think about my answers under the subject answer labled should've been? views for yous.. ....What i wrote is very lenthy .scrole down ,u can't miss it.. lol

You're kidding...you have to be kidding...
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:26 pm

No :!: "I never joke about my work oo7!" -( Q. in Goldfinger)
"I'm kinda nervous when I take tests" -leon

Return to Blade Runner Round Table