FAQ  •  Login

Serial Story

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

2nd_hand_liver

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Sep 03, 2001 4:44 am

I haven't seen much out there from the group with regards to opinions about the serial story. I am curious of what everyone thinks. I contributed part 5, and find it an interesting approach. It is similar to an acting exercise that I used to do in my acting class, where two people would start a scene, and then one person would go out, another person would come in, and pick up thescene. Of course ith a new person in there, it can change the dynamic of the scene, but you have to keep the same theme running throughout. <BR><BR>I would appreciate any and all comments, whether you like the story as it stands or not, (yes, even my part is open to assault! <WEG>) as those who wish to contribute further may benefit from the feedback. <BR><BR>
[addsig]
Dave <BR>Liver Transplant recipient - 8/1/97 <BR>RECYCLE YOURSELF! BE AN ORGAN DONOR!
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Sep 03, 2001 6:33 pm

I really appreciate the effort of those of you who have helped to write the story. Personally, I think your Part 5, 2ndhandliver, switched the style for better, no matter there are relatively little new things happening. i liked it very much.<BR><BR>I think, the problem with such a project (which I find very interesting indeed) is that there isn't a "north" for the team, a main line argument, so it actually could lead to nowhere, or get into very interesting situations by one coauthor, just to be resolved in easy ways by the next. (Or is Aaron "guiding" the whole process? I don't know, really). But I supposse that's the problem with an "Open Team" like this.<BR><BR>Anyway, deespite the notorious abrupt style changes, I think at this point the story is getting kind of more "wholized" (Xcuseme) and interesting.
[addsig]
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

2nd_hand_liver

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Sep 04, 2001 11:25 am

Thanks for the good words Centauro, I appreciate them. <BR><BR>I deliberately took a different approach, as you noted. I also wanted to avoid the trap of making the story too predictable, hence I put in the ending that I did. I am hoping it will make it tougher for another writer to pick up, and ergo, make the story that much more interesting. <BR><BR>You're right that a serial story like this can be really interesting, but has its downfalls as well. With so many different cooks, it will be interesting to see what is served at the table in the end! ;-)<BR><BR>I tend to write "visually", so to speak. That is I try to texture what I write so that a clear picture of not only the characters, but hteir environment shows up. Some of my favorite writers, such as Joseph Conrad, Steinbeck, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Dickens were adept at this. A modern day writer who is really adept at this is Stephen King. Love him or hate him, he is a damn good storyteller, and really paints vivd, colorful characters and situations. <BR><BR>I hope whoever picks up the storey continues in the same vein, but all writers have their own approach to things.
[addsig]
Dave <BR>Liver Transplant recipient - 8/1/97 <BR>RECYCLE YOURSELF! BE AN ORGAN DONOR!
<<

Harry Bryant

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Sep 07, 2001 8:01 am

Hello. Aaron here. No, I'm not guiding the story at all. I just thought it would be an interesting experiment. I just wrote the set-up and let someone else take it from there. I've enjoyed reading each new part that is submitted and seeing where the writer takes the story. Glad you guys like it.<BR>BTW: We still need a title. I've only recieved a couple suggestions.
<BR>"Have a better one."

Return to Blade Runner Round Table