FAQ  •  Login

Ask the producers - Which characters would you like to see?

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:18 am

Ask the producers - Which characters would you like to see?

As the title says? would you like to see Mr Tyrell as a bio chemist in BR1 or see he was actually a skin job and return in BR 2?

Did Deckard and his lover ever make it to the country? maybe Holden has a new assignment to find them? spooky..
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Ask the producers - Which characters would you like to see?

Sure, I'd like to see some more of Holden, preferably in a prequel scenario.

And while we're at it, J.F. Sebastian! His little world of "I make friends" would be wonderful to explore ... and how he was abandoned and left behind by his 'human' friends and family for the Off-world colonies.
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:02 pm

OMG, definately Gaff!
He's a complex, mysterious character with great style. Quiet & cool.
In a prequel, we could learn more of why he needs the cane and maybe there's something more to his eyes. That's just for starters. And, don't forget the Origami!!... synonymous with BR.
He should be in a sequel too, really. Hell, a whole film could be made on that guy as main character!

Let's throw Mary into the prequel, as well. She's mentioned in BR, but got screwed out of her screen-time #-o HAHAhehe
ImageImageImage
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:08 pm

I have almost two notebooks full of ideas surrounding characters and ideas I would want explored in any spin off movie. I think it may be more important to tell them what we don't want, or to at least come up with some stuff that would actually be original and maybe surprise us. maybe I will post some stuff here later after i go through it all.

Andy
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:26 pm

I couldn't agree with you more, ridleynoir. But, if they're OUR ideas, then how can it surprise us? :mrgreen: But, I see what you mean. Mentioning things we do NOT want is probably a good idea.

Since the question is, "What characters would you like to see?",.. Add some from P.K.Dick's original story. Now, THAT could surprise some people!
ImageImageImage
<<

jimmymack8

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:27 am

I wouldn't mind seeing a prequel of BR, with an explanation on how the earth became a dystopia world that killed off all the animals. The characters I would like to see in the prequel would be everyone that was in BR, and perhaps their families.
Chew...if only you could see, what I've seen with your eyes!
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:25 am

What I posted over at propsummit...
One of the ways I remember thinking about Blade Runner when it first came out was described by the intro to the Naked City, "There are 8 million stories in the naked city". The main story in Blade Runner was this relatively small story that crossed paths with other bigger stories (like Tyrell), and had a setting that just let you know there is so much more to explore in this dark, sultry, and even mystical place.

Every extra that crossed the screen seemed to have an interesting story of their own, and they all seemed interconnected by larger epic event that had unfolded before, and is happening behind the scenes in the movie itself. I like the idea that any new films just tell some of those stories, not as a prequel or sequel, but as a "sidequel". Something set in the same world that may also hint further about the larger unknown stories in the first film. Something that will give us more to talk about for the next 25 years perhaps.

The other things I ask of the makers of any new film are...
1-That the movie be intelligent, if you want to tap into the market of Blade Runner fans, I am willing to bet that they are all above average in intelligence, you have to appeal to them if you don't want to kill a "Franchise" before it becomes one.
2-That you don't make a roller coaster ride action film. Blade Runner may be called boring by some, but what makes so many people love it is that you can spend some time fully engulfed in that world.
3-That that world be realistic, and not glamorous. Some glamour as seen in Tyrell's office will be okay in contrast, but if every main character has unwrinkled clean clothes, and perfect skin and hair, I won't fall for the illusion, and it will look fake. I also relate better to actors that are a little odd looking than perfect and overly made up. It is this movies attention to that realism, that has kept it repeatedly watchable for so long.
4-That they hire some new and unrecognized talent. Nothing kills a movie more for me than having some "Star" that is constantly in the news and in other movies, and all ready overexposed. Unless they are an actor in the realm of the very best of the best, I won't be able to believe their character. Except for Harrison Ford, the rest of the actors in the first film were not stars yet, at least not in the US, or they were veteran character actors. Harrison was also just becoming a star at that time, and even though he may have been the biggest of the time, his star power did not make the movie a success.
5-They try to come up with some ideas that have not become cliche's. The original movie blew us away because it did so many things different from any other film before. Things that now have almost become convention themselves. And, I am not talking special effects, because all the special effects in that movie were done before in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. It was the music, the places, and over all the atmosphere. The movie works so well because it transported us to a new place and time that was exotic and still fully real.

The movie I first saw back in 1982-3, is still transporting me to this world. Because of it I have gone places in my own mind that I have never seen on film ever, and if any new film comes out and does not take me to places nearly as interesting as the ones in my own imagination, I will probably be sorely disappointed in it. If you want to use any of those notebooks full of places I have been to in my brain you can contact me here, and we can work out a deal ;)

A little clarification on my comment about the action in the film. I think it is more important that the action be realistic, and not go for the type of Michael Bay action that is pure fantasy, and unbelievable. Action that is realistic is so much more powerful, and the over the top stuff takes me out of the film. It all depends on how it is filmed. It just has to be done in a way that is not a Hollywood cliche'. I am tired of seeing cars blow up as soon as they crash. A car crashing and seeing or at least alluding to the injuries of the passengers would be much more powerful for instance. There are students making fake youtube videos that are more powerful than the Hollywood stuff. Plus it is the calm before the storm that makes the storm so much more scary. A constant storm or a fireworks show consisting of a continuous grand finale is just obnoxious.

I am against a prequel, because A prequel will pretty much have to be set in current times, and it will be a cop out to create interesting settings which is one of the most important things in the movie. I want to see places I have not seen before.

As far as recurring characters, I think the Characters that will still likely play vital roles no matter when the movies were set are Tyrell, even though he died in the movie, he was supposed to be a replicant anyway, and Gaff. He has to be important just because he seems to know what is going on and just stays back to watch it play out. Both actors are alive and likely willing to play roles in the film too :)

I wrote multiple outlines for script ideas a couple years ago, and have talked to people about doing a comic version, but cost of getting the license was way too much. I am reworking one of those Ideas right now by taking Deckard out of it, because I doubt Harrison Ford will want to do it, and I think after seeing the last Indiana Jones, I am not sure he would be able to pull it off as written anyway. I also have focused on using a good traditional story line that uses science fiction ideas that have yet to be seen in film on a large scale, and also having touches of deeper themes without talking too much about them to create dialogue about them later. Also to keep the film from being "wordy", or too much explaining as they say. Deep ideas are best when explored on your own instead of an idea being forced down your throat in a film.

Also I also used settings that have not been used in film to any real degree and could be made to be totally awe inspiring and tap into our subconscious the way they do in BR. At least a lot of the imagery comes from my own dreams.

Of course I know the chances of any of it being used for any movie shooting script are pretty close to nill, and I also realize their are many others that have done the same as me, but I can only hope that my obsession will pay off to some degree :D

More to come...
Andy
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Do NOT adapt the K.W. Jeter novels. Ignore them!

Do NOT adapt the new BOOM Dust to Dust comics either.

As ridleynoir said, come up with something intelligent and not over-the-top unbelievable.

Keep it gritty! Keep the NOIR!

Imagine if Christopher Nolan got his hands on this! (rumored)
<<

cudaclan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:34 pm

If BR was in production in another timeframe, my choosing of actors would be as follows.

Roy Batty ………….. Robert Shaw 1927
Rick Deckard …….. Richard Crenna 1926
Rachael …………….. Audrey Hepburn 1929
Zhora ……………….. Lauren Bacall 1924
Pris …………………… Joanne Woodward 1930
Leon Kowalski ….. Lee Marvin 1924
JF Sebastion …….. Jack Lemmon 1925
Dr. Eldon Tyrell … Walter Pidgeon 1897
Harry Bryant …….. Orson Welles 1915
Chew ……………….. Victor Sen Yung 1915
Holden …………….. Lawrence Harvey 1927
Gaff …………………. Ricardo Montalban 1920