"Questions" and ans.. for replicants&men

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:42 pm

"Questions" and ans.. for replicants&men

Can you name these little models or symbles that Gaff so likes to twist up in the movie and maybe what they mean .(maybe to you ... your signification)
. For instance I'm not sure about the first one ,in Bryant's office , what is that ? :arrow: Ask any question u like about the movie and let's see how the people respond !
Last edited by protectadeck on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 12 times in total.
<<

Jobeykobra

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:13 pm

The one in Bryant's office is a chicken, implying that Rick Deckard is a chicken for not wanting to retire the replicants. I'm not sure what the little person he left in Leon's apartment is supposed to mean, but I do know that the unicorn at the end of the Director's cut and Final Cut, according to the director and those who believe that Deckard is a Replicant, means that Gaff knew about Deckard's thought of the unicorn, indicating it was an implanted thought.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: GAFF AND HIS LITTLE MODELS

protectadeck wrote:Can you name these little models or symbles that Gaff so likes to twist up thoughout the movie and maybe what they mean .
(maybe to you). For instance I'm not sure about the first one ,in Bryant's office , what is that ?

"Are you for real?"

<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:44 pm

Jobeykobra wrote:The one in Bryant's office is a chicken, implying that Rick Deckard is a chicken for not wanting to retire the replicants. I'm not sure what the little person he left in Leon's apartment is supposed to mean, but I do know that the unicorn at the end of the Director's cut and Final Cut, according to the director and those who believe that Deckard is a Replicant, means that Gaff knew about Deckard's thought of the unicorn, indicating it was an implanted thought.
:P I thought that was a chicken one time but I wasn't sure. 8) The one in leon's appar. looks like ,well,I reckon someone that's getting excited again about being a blade runner, remember's how great this old dectective work is , back on the job so to speak,kinda like graduating from chicken to man , I'm not sure but near the end of the movie gaff shouts "you've done a man's job sir"! Anyway what a movie huh :P :!:
Last edited by protectadeck on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:54 pm

Kipple wrote:
protectadeck wrote:Can you name these little models or symbles that Gaff so likes to twist up thoughout the movie and maybe what they mean .
(maybe to you). For instance I'm not sure about the first one ,in Bryant's office , what is that ?
:shock: was my question so bad ,I mean the one in leon's appartment is questionable, and different meanings apply to different people. What did the unicorn cause you to think about when first viewed? When I first saw this silver little creature in decks hand , the popular notion that rick was a rep. didn't occur although it looks like his eyes glow like rachel's in a scene or two.

"Are you for real?"

Thanks for that pic. of Z, she's still a looker 8)
Last edited by protectadeck on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Jobeykobra wrote:The one in Bryant's office is a chicken, implying that Rick Deckard is a chicken for not wanting to retire the replicants. I'm not sure what the little person he left in Leon's apartment is supposed to mean, but I do know that the unicorn at the end of the Director's cut and Final Cut, according to the director and those who believe that Deckard is a Replicant, means that Gaff knew about Deckard's thought of the unicorn, indicating it was an implanted thought.
Could gaff or deck know about that dream before the dream was inserted :!: ,There was no dream of a unicorn before it was inserted according to the movie that played in theaters years and years ago . I like the final cut but the answer is only imaginitive to the viewer of either film,.. their choice. 8)
Last edited by protectadeck on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:30 pm

Kipple wrote:

"Are you for real?"

ha ha ha ha ha...oh...god....hahahahaaaaaaa
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:35 pm

deleted wrote:
Kipple wrote:

"Are you for real?"

ha ha ha ha ha...oh...god....hahahahaaaaaaa
Someone should lift the needle up on your record player . :lol:
<<

Jobeykobra

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:29 pm

protectadeck wrote:
Could gaff or deck know about that dream before the dream was inserted :!: ,There was no dream of a unicorn before it was inserted according to the movie that played in theaters years and years ago . I like the final cut but the answer is only imaginitive to the viewer of either film. 8)

Yes, I understand that it was imaginative. I understand that that dream was inserted only in the DC and FC, but with that dream inserted, supposedly the origami unicorn means that Gaff knew it was an implanted thought. The director himself believes Deckard was a replicant, and so do a lot of others.
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:30 pm

Jobeykobra wrote:
protectadeck wrote:
Could gaff or deck know about that dream before the dream was inserted :!: ,There was no dream of a unicorn before it was inserted according to the movie that played in theaters years and years ago . I like the final cut but the answer is only imaginitive to the viewer of either film. 8)

Yes, I understand that it was imaginative. I understand that that dream was inserted only in the DC and FC, but with that dream inserted, supposedly the origami unicorn means that Gaff knew it was an implanted thought. The director himself believes Deckard was a replicant, and so do a lot of others.
8) YES possibly so with the dream incerted but listen for a moment...There was -NO- dream until it was incerted ,and I'm not saying he's a rep or not ,but how can the little silver piece signify that gaff knew of a dream when there wasn't one before ,it's like the movie was kinda rewritten when this happened and it kinda limits the free thinkers sorta, that would like to have it more of a choice to them rather than a dead end declaration. I think I thought he might be a replic. before the incerted dream,but the unicorn is not what gave me that impression . Thank you Ridley for the 4 dicc collection ,choice is good :!: Even Rid. said something in one of the interviews how your supposed to think for your self and discover these kind of things when you watch a movie..(not in those exact words)
The version I had been waiting for was the inter. ver. on dvd and look :o a final cut ! I must say, a collection indeed! :!: :!: :!:
Last edited by protectadeck on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:38 pm

DADoES / Blade Runner Glossary

Alrighty folks!

In my definition under "Unicorn" in the DADoES/Blade Runner Glossary it reads the following:

Unicorn

Movie/Game

Movie

A. The daydream sequence Deckard has as he is sitting at the piano is of a unicorn galloping in slow motion. The scene is only in the Director's Cut.

B. The unicorn is the last of three origami figures that Gaff crafted throughout the movie. It appears at the end of the film when Deckard leaves his apartment with Rachael. She knocks over an origami unicorn as she walks towards the elevator. Deckard sees it in the corner of his eye, and picks it up nodding his head.

One interpretation is that the unicorn was simply a message to Deckard to say he knows he's with Rachael and will let her live. Another interpretation is that the unicorn is Gaff's challenge to hunt them both down.

An interesting article regarding this theme can be found here.
http://scribble.com/uwi/br/brfaq/unicorn.html

FYI:
Sebastian's apartment is full of bastardized creatures, part man, part machine, and part animal. There is a stuffed unicorn on Sebastian's work table (screen right, as the mice scurry over scattered paraphernalia while Sebastian sleeps).

Speculative question:
When Deckard dreams of the unicorn it should be a private dream, yet Gaff, by leaving an origami unicorn on the landing hints that he knows about the dream. How could this be unless Gaff has seen the data implanted in Deckard's mind?

Game

Gaff leaves his infamous calling card for Ray in the game. Depending on your gameplay, Ray will either find the origami on the Moonbus floor, or on the ground outside the Moonbus.

DADoES and Blade Runner Glossary

Also...
Unicorn at Wikipedia
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:44 pm

Why was the words" Ha! kinship! "removed from the subtitles that appear when you play the newly released dvds :?: That's right before roy pulls deckard up . You can see them on the old release of the 1st dir. cut.
<<

Araym

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:40 pm

i found Gaff's origami a cool way for him to communicate, like his city-speak and wardrobe...
we know that with the first one he's calling Deckard a chicken, and the third is telling Deck he knows he's a Replicant, but the second was the most puzzling for me at first...
Gaff makes a little man out of a matchstick, a little Matchstick Man, now Machstick Man is a term use to denote a con-man, a charlitan, a fake...
maybe Gaff is trying to imply that a fake person, Replicant, was indeed recentaly in that apartment, but considering that the other two are directed towards Deckard maybe it's another implication that Gaff knows Deck is indeed a fake human...
coincidentaly much later in 2003 Ridley Scott directed another movie titled "Matchstick Men" starring Nicholas Cage as a con-man...
Gosh, you really got some nice toys here...
<<

Brendan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:54 am

The dream wasn't just inserted in the director's cut, and final cut. It was actually in the orginal workprint version before being cut for the theatrical release. It should always have been in there.
<<

Deckard

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:59 am

My thoughts are these:

The chicken could have implied that Gaff thought Deckard was a "Chicken-head" or mentally soft as found in DADoES. He may have been saying he felt that Deckard was washed up and no longer of any use the the Department, especially if he was bucking for a promotion as indicated in the voice over.

The matchstick man with the erection could show that Gaff now realizes that Deckard was and still is good at what he does and has developed a hard-on once again for catching the Replicants that are now on the loose. That he is, back in the saddle, so to speak.

The unicorn was most likely meant to tie in Ridley Scott's dream sequence and plant one more item to make you believe Deckard is a Replicant himself. If Gaff knew about his dreams and memories, were they implanted?
Deckard

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession: ex-cop, ex-BladeRunner, ex-killer."
Next

Return to Blade Runner Round Table