Gotta question for the die hard fans...

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

ZG1000-A20

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:01 pm

Gotta question for the die hard fans...

In any of the scripts, did they give a name for the replicant that died running into an electric field? I know from the Dangerous Days documentary there was supposed to be a replicant named Mary who was killed off, was she the one that got killed trying to break into the Tyrell Corporation?...In the process of writing another fan-fiction story, and just doing some research.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: Gotta question for the die hard fans...

Hello! lol

Mary was to have been killed in a closet...shot at, I believe.

Mary was a replicant character that was written out of the script at an early stage. She was to have been a mother-figure replicant, performing housework and childcare duties.
http://bladerunner.wikia.com/wiki/Mary

In the script it was said that in the autopsy made to that replicant who was fried in the electric fence of the Tyrell corporation (Mary/Irmgard) the pathologists still believed after three hours of the autopsy that the subject was human. So these replicants were made THIS PERFECT copies of humans.
http://www.rutgerhauer.org/views/br08.php

When Holden tells Deckard about the escaped replicants he tells us that two (not one) fried on the electrical fence trying to sneak into Tyrell Industries. This corrected a flaw in the original, which told us that six replicants came to Earth but accounts for only five of them: we see four and hear of one more who died in the electric fence. (This dialogue flub was probably a vestige of the screenplay, which featured five escaped replicants; the fifth character was cast [Mary], but the scenes were dropped for budgetary reasons.)
http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/2008/0 ... ig-screen/

Bryant tells Deckard that there were six replicants, three male, three
female. Obviously, Roy and Leon are two of the males, and Pris and Zhora are
two of the females. Bryant also says that "one of them got fried trying to
get into the Tyrell building", but doesn't specify the sex. That leaves one
replicant, either male or female. It has been hypothesized that Deckard was
the sixth replicant, but there is ample evidence that this is not the case.
In an earlier version of the script "Mary" was the fifth replicant, and "Hodge"
was the sixth. Bryant's line in that script got past the screenwriter
unnoticed. It was recorded correctly in the Workprint as "two got fried" but
botched again on the release print.
http://stason.org/TULARC/movies/blade-r ... unner.html

here are at least three major drafts of the screenplay. While they all have the same storyline, many details differ between them: The first of these drafts, dated July 24, 1980, was written by Hampton Fancher alone. It refers to replicants as "androids" and makes it clear that Deckard is human; at one point, he has a physical, hoping to qualify for an off-world flight. The Voight-Kampff test can spot "androids" after five or six questions, (not the thirty questions required in later drafts; Rachael is detected after thirteen questions, not a hundred. Deckard recognizes Zhora fairly quickly in this draft (her appearance has changed in later drafts). The fifth "android" Mary has a part in this draft. Instead of finding Tyrell at the Tyrell building, Batty goes to Tyrell's mansion, and he kills Tyrell, along with his bodyguard, a maid, and his entire family; he kills Sebastian later. Deckard kills Mary, Pris, and Batty. Deckard and Rachael escape from the city. In the woods in the country, Deckard kills Rachael, knowing that another Blade Runner would have done it sooner or later. The draft dated December 22, 1980, was co-written by David Webb Peoples. It does not have the chess game featured in the final film, but it is the most cohesive of the three draft (there are no continuity problems, and the story is virtually complete, with details missing from the final film). Batty and Company are known as replicants by this time. Also, a sixth replicant, Hodge, is in the mix; he attacks Batty and Gaff at Leon's flat. Mary is also in this draft; as before, she is killed by Deckard in Sebastian's apartment. Chew is shown after he freezes to death. In this draft, the Tyrell Corporation is called "the Nekko Corporation". Instead of praising Deckard's skills as a Blade Runner, Bryant chastises him for shooting a replicant in public view after Deckard kills Zhora. Leon disguises himself as a Russian in a bar sitting next to Deckard before attacking him; Deckard isn't fooled, but Leon is still faster than him, and Deckard needs to be rescued by Rachael. In this draft, "Tyrell" turns out to be another replicant; after killing him, Roy demands that Sebastian take him to the real Tyrell, and Sebastian reveals that Tyrell has an unnamed disease and is now in hibernation unit awaiting a cure. Roy demands that Sebastian wake Tyrell up, and Sebastian reveals that Tyrell died a year ago; Roy kills Sebastian after learning this. In both of these two drafts, the entire replicant line is put on hold after Tyrell is killed, as Batty is now public knowledge. Bryant reveals Gaff is planning to kill Racheal. In this draft, Batty saves Deckard and lets his lifespan run out. After Deckard returns home, Bryant calls to warn him that Gaff is coming, hinting that Deckard should get out of town. Deckard and Rachael leave town. Rachael asks Deckard to kill him, so another Blade Runner can't do it; Deckard does so. While Deckard is probably human in this draft, he empathizes with the replicants, comparing himself to them at the end, saying "Roy Batty was my late brother." The draft dated February 23, 1981, is VERY close to the final film. It has some spare narration, and it also has the continuity problem of Bryant saying there are five replicants in the city. In the final battle, Deckard tries to back out, saying he doesn't want to kill Pris or Batty. At the end, Deckard and Rachael flee the city; Gaff's spinner is seen in the distance chasing them.
http://www.angelfire.com/mn/nn/BladeRunner.html

NOTE from Kipple: I did not verify the data above myself. The scripts are available to view online. The links I had are dead. So...I'll search about myself. When I find them, I'll post here. And I'll have them available at KippleZone.

July 24, 1980 - http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Blad ... early.html

February 23, 1981 - http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/blad ... oting.html
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Ask this question on a different forum, you get a one-word answer ("Hodge"); ask it here...

We're all obviously waiting for the twenty-disc 2019 edition, so we need to kill time.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ZG1000-A20

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Kipple, Deleted - TY very much for posting this info.
<<

jimmymack8

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:05 am

Thx, that was very informative. You list your location as Satellite 2, is that off world somewear? :mrgreen:
Chew...if only you could see, what I've seen with your eyes!
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 pm

jimmymack8 wrote: You list your location as Satellite 2, is that off world somewear? :mrgreen:

You could say that. It's at the L4 point in the Sun-Earth system. :) (It's in a book I'm writing)

Return to Blade Runner Round Table