FAQ  •  Login

Isn't it sad? Blade Runner licensing post Final Cut...

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:01 am

Isn't it sad? Blade Runner licensing post Final Cut...

Blade Runner: Final Cut has been out nearly 2 years now and hardly anything new came out as a result.

Releases...
Final Cut
Blade Runner Trilogy Soundtrack
DADOES Audio Book
Paperback with new cover
Hardcover re-release of Future Noir in UK

I can't believe the Blade Runner Trust was not up for lots of new licensing and tie-ins. Now the window of opportunity is basically over.

It's really sad if you ask me. You can't blame Charles who worked on the Final Cut. He did try to interest them in other things but nothing came of it.

No video-games, action-figures, toys, deckard's blaster, models, comics, novels, RPG(pen&paper) etc. There is a demand for that type of stuff. Just look at the sales of the DADOES comics by BOOM Studios.
Last edited by Nexus Frog on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:04 am

Agreed. A new computer game would've been nice. :)
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:07 am

Frankly, we are still stuck with unofficial fan-made merchandise. That is all there is!
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:10 am

The Final Cut key chain. Mustn't forget that. ;)

And poster. And umbrella, (for the lucky few).
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Bud and Jerry are used to making multi-million and billion dollar deals, and I think anything that will not make that much money seems to be not worth their time. Especially since the large fan base of this movie tends to be older, more mature and less interested in toys and tchatchkis. It is also a cult fan base and doesn't also have the numbers of a Star Wars fan base. Maybe they also were afraid of seeing the licence get diluted by too much merchandising.

Maybe now that Warner Bros. no longer has the distribution rights to the movie itself, they are looking to sell the entire license. I hope something like this will happen, because I am looking forward to an "Art of.." true behind the scenes coffee table book with tons of rare press photos and such. That and a licensed versions of Deckard's gun and the spinners would make my day(and decade).

Andy
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:18 am

ridleynoir wrote:Bud and Jerry are used to making multi-million and billion dollar deals, and I think anything that will not make that much money seems to be not worth their time. Especially since the large fan base of this movie tends to be older, more mature and less interested in toys and tchatchkis. It is also a cult fan base and doesn't also have the numbers of a Star Wars fan base. Maybe they also were afraid of seeing the licence get diluted by too much merchandising.

Maybe now that Warner Bros. no longer has the distribution rights to the movie itself, they are looking to sell the entire license. I hope something like this will happen, because I am looking forward to an "Art of.." true behind the scenes coffee table book with tons of rare press photos and such. That and a licensed versions of Deckard's gun and the spinners would make my day(and decade).

Andy

Exactly. I'd love an Art Of etc.! I have Oblagon, but really it does not have that much in it.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:32 am

Kipple wrote:The Final Cut key chain. Mustn't forget that. ;)

And poster. And umbrella, (for the lucky few).

I have that keychain. Damn nifty.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Phantom

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Isn't it sad? Blade Runner licensing post Final Cut...

Nexus Frog wrote:Blade Runner: Final Cut has been out nearly 2 years now and hardly anything new came out as a result.

Releases...
Final Cut
Blade Runner Trilogy Soundtrack
DADOES Audio Book
Paperback with new cover
Hardcover re-release of Future Noir in UK

I can't believe the Blade Runner Trust was not up for lots of new licensing and tie-ins. Now the window of opportunity is basically over.

It's really sad if you ask me. You can't blame Charles who worked on the Final Cut. He did try to interest them in other things but nothing came of it.

No video-games, action-figures, toys, deckard's blaster, models, comics, novels, RPG(pen&paper) etc. There is a demand for that type of stuff. Just look at the sales of the DADOES comics by BOOM Studios.

look at the world around you thats the "else" that you research trust me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHWmFkpondw
ImageImage

"THE NEWEST MACHINE IN THE WORLD WILL NEVER
MATCH THE HUMAN BEING."

-Ayrton Senna-
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Or, we could be greatful that we have just the film to watch and enjoy. Rather than be buried in merchandising
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:18 am

True.

Andy
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:37 am

Blade Runner, to me, isn't like Star Wars. I don't think you can make many things from it. No toys, coloring books, candy, etc... It's just not one of thoe kinds of movies.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:07 am

All I ask for is a proper licensed model of Deckard's gun, plastic and die cast model kits of the vehicles, and an "Art Of..." coffee table book. I can live without pretty much everything else. :D

Andy
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:21 pm

Yes. Definitely an "Art of..." book.

The rest...look at it online, (fan art, fan-fiction, etc.)

Again, there's always something new - and creative - being put out by fans. I post them almost weekly lately on the Off-World News. Incredible the talk still going on with this movie.

And it's always a treat (for me at least) to read of people's reaction to the movie who have never seen it. Some times I re-tweet the better ones in the OffWorld Twitter page.
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:22 pm

THX1138 wrote:Blade Runner, to me, isn't like Star Wars. I don't think you can make many things from it. No toys, coloring books, candy, etc... It's just not one of thoe kinds of movies.

Amen brother!

Return to Blade Runner Round Table