FAQ  •  Login

Very Blade Runner-like music in WATCHMEN movie!

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

endzem

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:09 pm

Very Blade Runner-like music in WATCHMEN movie!

I'm really excited about this movie. The original graphic novel (comics) was awsome.

Anyway, if you go to the official website and click on the character profile for "The Comedian", you will hear background music that sounds VERY familiar! Sounds very much like Blade Runner Blues and very Vengelis-like. Hmm...maybe Vengelis actually worked on this film. Have to check.

Let me know what you think...

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

Last edited by endzem on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

endzem

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Ah-ha! Look what I found in Wikipedia.org...

"Composer Tyler Bates began scoring Watchmen in November 2007. He planned to visit the shoot for a week during each month, and view assembly cuts of scenes to begin rough composing. Snyder and Bates listened to the soundtracks of 1980s films such as Manhunter, Blade Runner and To Live and Die in L.A. for inspiration. Bates used a Yamaha CS-80 or an MOTM for moments that he felt should have more ambience or synthesizers."

<<

cudaclan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Chris Isaak without the rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-dLh-yfLs
<<

endzem

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:13 pm

(???)

What does that Chris Isaak video have to do with this thread?

:?
<<

cudaclan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:07 pm

you will hear background music that sounds VERY familiar

Opening of Silk Spectre II was by default... Surf Music
<<

Brendan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:57 am

I've bought this track on iTunes just because it sounds so much like Blade Runner.

If anyone's interested, it's track 9, "Edward Blake - The Comedian"

The version on the website is a shortened, looped version with a rain sound effect overlaid. I guess this adds to the Blade Runner feel.

The full version has a more orchestral, less electronic intro, and a nice electric guitar bit towards the end.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Well... I just watched "Watchmen". It was interesting. Had its moments.

One great line is, "I'm not locked in here with you. You're Locked in Here with me!."

However, I would NOT compare this... or even say it was "like" or "equal", or "will be" equal to Blade Runner. I tire already of this claim (in Twitterland).

I'll have to watch it again.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:34 am

Kipple wrote:Well... I just watched "Watchmen". It was interesting. Had its moments.

One great line is, "I'm not locked in here with you. You're Locked in Here with me!."

However, I would NOT compare this... or even say it was "like" or "equal", or "will be" equal to Blade Runner. I tire already of this claim (in Twitterland).

I'll have to watch it again.

Rorschach is my favorite character from that movie...I too love that line.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:58 pm

I have not seen The Watchmen, but since The "composer" Tyler Bates is a known music theif, this is not surprising
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:18 pm

I heard some Blade Runner Blues music when Rorschach walked the streets. Great film! Amazing over-the-top images! The plot is the bonus. Snyder is the new Ridley Scott. I kid you not!
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:55 am

I must disagree with that assessment.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:17 am

Really? I see nothing but parallels.

I see why a lot of people don't like Zack Znyder. They say aesthetics are more important to him than story and characterization. Well, you have to remember that critics once said the same about Ridley Scott. They said the same about Alien and they certainly have said the same about Blade Runner. His films look good but looks is all he seems to care about. Personally, I take Scott's first movies over his later period. In his later period the focus tends to be less on looks but more on characters and conventional storytelling. However, I think there are a lot of directors who do a better job at that. Really, Scott shouldn't forsake his greatest talent, namely, 'mise-en-scène'.

I look at Scott's first films (The Duellists included) as pieces of cinematic art. The visuals of these movies enchant me, engage me. His images sing to me, they inspire me. I miss that about the later Scott. When I saw Watchmen (I watched it on Blu-ray), all those feelings I once had when I first saw Alien or Blade Runner sorta came back to me. That's why I call Znyder the new Ridley Scott. He says, screw it all, I'm going to tell my movies with visuals!

Hooray!
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:03 pm

Leon Corporation wrote:I heard some Blade Runner Blues music when Rorschach walked the streets. Great film! Amazing over-the-top images! The plot is the bonus. Snyder is the new Ridley Scott. I kid you not!

really????????

Snyder is a horrid director he is a total lucky hack who got lucky

the man has 0 tallent
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:09 pm

kornula wrote:
Leon Corporation wrote:I heard some Blade Runner Blues music when Rorschach walked the streets. Great film! Amazing over-the-top images! The plot is the bonus. Snyder is the new Ridley Scott. I kid you not!

really????????

Snyder is a horrid director he is a total lucky hack who got lucky

the man has 0 tallent

Oh, he's got lots of talent, especially when it comes to aesthetics, just like Ridley Scott. If you think the visuals of Watchmen are terrible (as in zero talent), then I don't know how you can be a fan of Blade Runner. Snyder makes visual-based movies and that's a rare thing these days.
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:02 pm

this is barely a comparison; Scott at least had strong characters.. though stripped down of some emotions, but they were still engaging in all Scotts films. Furthermore, Scott generated a lot of original images with amazing detail (many who worked on his films would probably say too much detail - having newspapers printed from November 2019 printed on them on the set) Scott also compiled a lot of creative visual geniuses such as HR Gieger and Syd Mead

Snyder just copies and pastes graphic novels
Next

Return to Blade Runner Round Table