FAQ  •  Login

Blade Runner refernces in Akira

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Post Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:31 pm

Just wondering if anyone else noticed all the little Blade Runner references in Akira, maybe saw some I didn't... I noticed a couple things: that "boom" drum sound from BR is in there, I forget where though (I'll watch it again to spot it I believe its in the underground lab scene), that last image in the film appears to be a photo of a giant eye painted red, both films have artificial toys (though the ones in Akira were created, not built) and the general feel is the sane. Anyone notice any more similarities between Akira and BR?
<<

drw50

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Aug 11, 2001 10:25 am

Well, right in the beginning of Akira there is a loud drum sound just like the very beginning of Blade Runner; the title "Blade Runner" appears in red with the powerful drum. <BR>
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sat Aug 11, 2001 7:26 pm

There's a shot of the city, at the beginning I think, where you can see a building quite alike, in general outline the BR Police HQ. It's not a copy but I would say it's definitively based-on.
[addsig]
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

Steyr

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Aug 14, 2001 6:00 pm

Now it's been awhile since I've seen it but dosent the Army general get around town by flying from place to place. He proably does it in a helicpter, but who want's to nit pick?<BR><BR>'corse, the easier anime to compare BR to is Bubblegum Crisis.
[addsig]
In a mad world, only the mad are truly sane. <BR> -A.K.
<<

ReplicantDreams

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Aug 17, 2001 12:13 pm

Ah, Bubblegum Crisis! Loved that series. I have the tapes here somewhere, but now that the DVDs are out I'm sure I'll get them as well. I think that for just about anybody that became a sci-fi fan from the mid-70's through today, Bladerunner pretty much has DEFINED what the "cyberpunk" genre looks like in our minds. In movies, games, anime, even novels, etc. whenever I see cyberpunk I usually see strong shades of Bladerunner.
[addsig]
"All these moments will be lost in time... like beers in the rain." <BR> <BR>http://www.ImageMage.com/ReplicantDreams
<<

Post Fri Aug 17, 2001 7:21 pm

Just looked at the Akira DVD again a couple days ago.. the police station building is the one that has a bridge extending to another building, I think, you see it from the top when the motorcycles are zooming down the highway. There might be another building that looks like that I'm not sure. Also, those giant holographic billboards seem Blade Runner-ish. Bubblegum Crisis I've only seen some of, though Encore Action appears to be running four episode blocks of BC 2040 on saturday nights at midnight.<BR>As far as anime and blade runner, there's an article I've heard of called "Blame Blade Runner" that talks about the overshadowing influence BR has had on anime and cyberpunk. Anyone know where this article was from? Animerica Magazine? <BR><BR>
<<

Post Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:04 am

Another Anime/Manga with a heavy BR influence is Silent Moebius, their main police ships look like the spinner but as a single front wheel, sort of motorcycle like.Most of the backgrounds have the influence too.It's definetly worth checking out.

Return to Blade Runner Round Table