Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Blade Runner IV

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:07 pm

Book: Retrofitting Blade Runner

Hello fellow Blade Runners,

I was wondering if anyone knows about the content, of the book 'Retrofitting Blade Runner'. Does anyone own the book or have knowledge of what it covers?

Thank you.
<<

doc3d

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:34 pm

Re: Retrofitting Blade Runner

I know I have a copy somewhere, but in digging, so far all that's surfaced re unusual BR print is a complete bound set of City Speak: Special Edition, Oblagon by Syd Mead, Special Effects: Creating Movie Magic, and a few early scripts. From memory, Retrofitting BR is an academically oriented trade paperback-- sort of a BR case book. Might also exist in hardback. Definitely worth reading if you've got a brain, a heart, da noive...

Maybe someone else can help this person?

Cheers, Doc
<<

jfuste

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:08 am

I have it. And is still available from Amazon, I guess:

http://www.amazon.com/Retrofitting-Blad ... 0879725109

Product Description
This book of essays looks at the multitude of texts and influences which converge in Ridley Scott’s film Blade Runner, especially the film’s relationship to its source novel, Philip K. Dick’s Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Essays consider political, moral and technological issues raised by the film, as well as literary, filmic, technical and aesthetic questions. Contributors discuss the film’s psychological and mythic patterns, importance political issues and the roots of the film in Paradise Lost, Frankenstein, detective fiction, and previous science fiction cinema.

Excerpt.
From dust jacket: Blade Runner's richness and fundamental integrity will continue to fascinate viewers for years to come. Its implications as a thought experiment provide a starting point for urgently important thinking about the moral issues implicit in a hypertechnological society. Yet its importance in the history of science fiction and science fiction film rests equally on its mythically and psychologically resonant creation of compelling characters and an exciting story within a credible science fiction setting.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:54 pm

It is a loose collection of academic texts with various themes on Both BR and Phillip K Dick's DODoES. Very similar to the books The Blade Runner Experience, edited by Will Brooker, and the BFI Modern Film Classics, book by Scott Bukatman. By the way the Author Greg Rickman who is featured in 'Retrofitting' is also interviewed in the 25th anniversary DVD set in connection to PKD mostly.

I personally have only read a few articles in it, but I would recommend it for the price easily.

Andy
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:04 am

I have it. It's worth picking up.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott

Return to Blade Runner Round Table