ENKI BILAL VS JEAN (MOEBIUS) GIRAUD

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

ijustdoeyes

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:01 am

ENKI BILAL VS JEAN (MOEBIUS) GIRAUD

I would like to comment on what Rutger Hauer said about his first interview with Ridley Scott before he got the role to play Roy.
Rutger claims that Ridley had told him that one of the major influences for him was Bilal for the general look of the film and characters...
I would like to think Rutger is mistaken...Ridley Scott is an admirer of European
comics and artists and his major influence is Moebius.You just have to look at Ridley's drawings and sketches for the film.Exactly Moebius style! There is one printed on transparent plastic inside the special editions.
Never have I seen Bilal's influence mentioned anywhere in Blade Runner universe...Ridley never said anything about Bilal either.
Jean Giraud aka Moebius worked with Ridley on Alien and designed the crew's costumes but could not work on Blade Runner as he had another project.
Enki Bilal is another very successful and influential French ' band dessinee'
artist and film director.He himself considers Blade Runner as one of his favorite films.You may check his latest film 'Immortel'.
You may find Rutger's comments on DVD Disc 2.Go to 'Blush Response' Assembling the Cast. Time: 07.40
I would like to hear your views on this..Thank you.
If only you could see what I have seen with MY eyes...
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:45 pm

Ridley talked about "Heavy Metal", and I dont recall him mentioning Jean Giraud 'Moebius' (who he worked with on Alien) as direct inspiration. Both of these guys are contemporaries and both had stuff regularly in Metal Hurlant (Heavy Metal) magazine. In fact they do have some similarities in their styles, but most importantly Bilial used 1940's design throughout his work. In some ways it more resembles BR than JGM because of that and the darker coloration he uses as opposed to JGM's brighter colors. Just some counterpoints I guess.

Andy
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:17 pm

I thought it was common knowledge of the influence Moebius had on Blade Runner. Here is the recent quote from Ridley Scott regarding Moebius:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hollywood.com: What was the biggest reason why you wanted to once again revisit Blade Runner?

Ridley Scott: I think because the film was damaged, in the sense of when it was released 25 years ago, I think I really got it right--and believe me, I'm not a learner by the time I did Blade Runner. I'd already done Alien, I'd already done Duellists and I've already done 2,000 commercials and been in the business since I was 30, so I'm not a learner. And I'd been steeped in Heavy Metal comic strips with Jean Giraud Moebius before that, and was gonna do a futuristic Tristan and Isolde with Moebius. Moebius had designed my space suits for Alien. I've still got his drawings. So I figured I'm gonna apply what I know about Heavy Metal comics to Blade Runner, which is fundamentally doing Philip Marlowe. So it's Philip Marlowe meets Heavy Metal meets Hampton Fancher's screenplay, which was originally called ""Dangerous Days."" And it didn't strike a chord. People didn't get it, because people didn't know what Heavy Metal comics where, then. They hadn't a clue.
Source: http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/mov ... n12835.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One can see the influence the main character, Mr Club, has has with one of the characters in the street scene. I could not locate a "shot", but am providing a YouTube link. The character is seen a few times in the movie.
One point is at 3:35 minutes into the YouTube clip, and also, briefly walking by at 3:56 and 4:09.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hyhR89YlWNQ

A shot of the comic book here. (Mr. Club is the character on the left.)
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:05 pm

JGM's influence can certainly be seen in Sebastian's costume for sure.

Return to Blade Runner Round Table