The body in the bathtub

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Prodigal Son

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:33 pm

The body in the bathtub

Any insight? Does anyone have any alternate angles of this scene (part of Deckard being pursued in the Bradbury building)? i remember reading somewhere that there's a rare black and white photo out there.

The clip can be viewed on disc 4 during the "Nexus Generation" featurette.

My interpretation is that it's one of Sebastian's projects that he has discarded. But he was too cowardly to dispose of it properly. Kind of like leaving an unwanted infant in the woods. There is no blood and the decay looks very plastic-like. I'm sure it's a "toy".

Sorry if I missed any topics on this. What exactly are we dealing with here? Thanks!

PS. I just found out that this is all part of the "That's the spirit!" scene. Amazing...the level of detail in this film.
"Nothing the God Of Biomechanics wouldn't let you in heaven for..."
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 am

Apparently J. F. Sebastian wasn't as much of an innocent as he seemed. Weird that she is so Pris-like. I suppose if you were incepted to be a sex worker you would have a very strong sense of what your potential clients were looking for. So yeah, she was very perceptive as to what Sebastian liked in a girl.

It also raises the question: what would she have thought if she had found this undead/dead chick in the bathtub...this discarded toy? It certainly sheds a whole new light on Sebastian and his character, doesn't it?
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:15 am

i'm not that positive about whether they put the discarded toy/girl in the tub to shed some light on JF's character... i think it's just a casuality, she's just one of the toys JF's apartment is filled with.

btw, folks, have you noticed Zhora's shower in JF's upstairs "raining" bath? it's right in the middle of the screen when Deckard drags himself toward the tub (with the discarded girl in).
<<

Krokodyle

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:40 am

msgeek wrote:Apparently J. F. Sebastian wasn't as much of an innocent as he seemed.

Well, they guy was only 25, so he was still rarin' to go, syndrome or not. And it's unlikely he would be very popular on the dating scene, so maybe he made himself a 'special' toy for those 'special' urges.

Planta wrote:btw, folks, have you noticed Zhora's shower in JF's upstairs "raining" bath? it's right in the middle of the screen when Deckard drags himself toward the tub (with the discarded girl in).

I guess they were a popular line of bathroom fixtures, eh? :wink:
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:50 pm

The Noodle bar is also in Sebastian's apartment (at least the seats and counter), you see Deckard run past it in one of the larger rooms. Also the walls in Zhora's dressing room are the same as the elevator in Deckard's apartment. A lot of reuse throughout the film. I sometimes feel like I am playing Match game while watching it. Could be a cool bingo or drinking game too.
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:18 pm

And... Holden's life support "iron lung"-type device appears outside Abdul Ben Hassan's snake shop as a police kiosk.
ImageImageImage

Return to Blade Runner Round Table