Does Deckard rape Rachel?

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Rachel

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Does Deckard rape Rachel?

What have you understood from the love scene between Deckard and Rachel. Do you feel she's a bit under pressure and the scene is close to a rape?

Personally, I understood that Deckard feels that she desires him, so when she tries to run away from their love approach, he wants to hold her back from doing it with firmness to show his love (we feel a kind of passion then) but staying soft just after, letting her the choice.

She seems to have brain implants inhibitating her love development, like the spiders memory from her childhood, looking like a trauma/fear about the fact of being mother one day.

What do you think?
Last edited by Rachel on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mime gallery about Rachel (for friends, not as registered artist):
http://www.zimagez.com/galerie/Miming-o ... 0761-0.php
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:23 pm

I brought that up in another thread. I don't remember where. I'll have to search...but anyways, the way the scene was presented I agree that it can be portrayed as a rape scene. It was not the intent. And, as is shown in The Final Cut extras, there were other shots done that they chose not to use. Also, the script had been changed too, as can be seen with the screen test.

I'll have to find the other thread. There was more input there about this.
<<

Rachel

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:38 pm

Thank you very much.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:26 pm

<<

top buzz

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:29 pm

nah I don't think it's a rape. She has been a virgin and didn't know to handle situation in my opinion. Then later on in the act you can see her enjoying it.
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:39 am

I would say no. Although I found that in the workprint the ominous music certainly changes the tone of the scene to make it seem like rape.
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:36 pm

The scene used to make me pretty uncomfortable untill I got more "Experienced", and then I realized that there was more too it including primal and plot related things that make the scene so much more than what I first thought about it. The cut scenes on the new set show a 'lot' more to this scene that would have been interesting too. God bless Charles is all I can say.
<<

Rachel

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:55 pm

In my opinion, this scene can raise the problem of social need towards a man: she wants to escape from the Tyrell Enterprise and find a saviour. By the way, he's detective. We have no doubt that he's attractive so we can believe about love between them. Anyway, these feelings are melted with pressure of circumstances. Ridley seems to like the doubts. He makes us answer questions.

I think the presence of Harrison Ford makes us believe in love, but with Woody Allen instead, it would have been a rape, not even kissing her, just staying close to the piano! :lol:

I hope you don't mind my sense of humour :oops: .
<<

BR1661

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:50 pm

That is an uncomfortable scene.. Deckard tottaly took advantage of her mentally & pysically.. It felt tense, but it was cool!

To add somthing random & irrelevent, Sean Young looks super hot in that scene & i think its harlarious the way she lets her hair down & it's instantly styled
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:32 pm

I think it is important to point out that since she was now an escaped replicant, she was as good as dead if she left Deckard's apartment.
<<

Deckard

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:43 am

ridleynoir wrote:I think it is important to point out that since she was now an escaped replicant, she was as good as dead if she left Deckard's apartment.

Kind of like accepting a friends used Receiver or DVD player, rescuing it from the trash when it still works. :D
Deckard

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession: ex-cop, ex-BladeRunner, ex-killer."
<<

Rachel

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:45 pm

BR1661 wrote:That is an uncomfortable scene.. Deckard tottaly took advantage of her mentally & pysically.. It felt tense, but it was cool!

To add somthing random & irrelevent, Sean Young looks super hot in that scene & i think its harlarious the way she lets her hair down & it's instantly styled

Yes, indeed, we can feel this problem, but in the other hand, it seems machines accomplice trying to communicate with each other and go further to know the things they ignore in life. Deckard seems to be able to complete Rachel, to bring her experience. The weird thing is that maybe the Dr Tyrell programed their love like that. We see in this scene the ability of his andro?ds to try to evolve by themself in a very short time.

For me, it appeared first of all like a scene about the shyness. I found it interesting because this kind of scenes was missing in the other films I saw about love whereas it's really a sign of sensitivity and kindness. Any girl could be glad that a man like Deckard try to insist to show his love, not to hurt, of course, but to mean that she's worth for him.
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:33 pm

On an unrelated note Rachel, I enjoyed your Rachael-mime photos, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you... your eyes are glowing! :P
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:23 am

All this assumes that Rachel was actually a Replicant since the VK was proven unreliable.

Since they can remember it for you wholesale, you should Rekall that if you have memory implants, you could be fooled into believing that you are anything anyone says.

Add to that the fact that, like Spinners, the rich and official entities can have 'modifications' to their bodies. Say, for example an optical enhancement that results in a retinal reflection could result.

Which begs the question: How do we know Rachael really was a Replicant??

:wink:
<<

Rachel

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:51 pm

I. J. Thompson wrote:On an unrelated note Rachel, I enjoyed your Rachael-mime photos, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you... your eyes are glowing! :P

Yes I'm maybe a replicant too, be careful :lol: In fact, I found a very simple trick to make my eyes glow: I've just put the light on a way to make it happen. I love this effect. In the film, there is a tv screen shining in front of Sean, which makes her eyes glow.
Next

Return to Blade Runner Round Table