FAQ  •  Login

Unsolved Mysteries of Blade Runner

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:16 am

Masao wrote:The interior shots are in the Spinner cockpit set and the exteriors are of Deckard's car.

just guessing: many scenes on BR were just been put up by what they were going to look like, not following realisms of places/rooms displacement or cars designs or whatever. just take Deckard's apartment: you won't be able to draw its plan, just because they were constantly changing the walls and furnishing placement, scene by scene, just depending on how they wanted the scene to look like, you know, the light spots, the shape of the place, the shot angle etc.
and so the Spinner-looking Deckard's car interiors in the Deckard-calls-Sebastian scene. they probably needed the car's side window to look more tapered or whatever that shape, and the Spinner's side window just happened to look as they wanted. i think they wouldn't ever imagined how picky and geeky we fans would have been 25 years after. they probably thought they wouldn't even have fans at all :lol:
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:14 am

More importantly (drum roll please!)

New Treasure Hunt!

Where is the missing Spinner??

In the convention reel, you can clearly see TWO police Spinners driving on the set. Since the flying Spinner was incapable of this -an engine (for example) would have made it too heavy for the wires.

There is a Spinner missing!

The 'missing' list grows:

-1/1 Rachael Spinner
-1/1 Police Spinner
-1/1 Police Spinner interior
-1/12 Police Spinner miniature
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:18 am

Planta wrote:
Masao wrote:The interior shots are in the Spinner cockpit set and the exteriors are of Deckard's car.

just guessing: many scenes on BR were just been put up by what they were going to look like, not following realisms of places/rooms displacement or cars designs or whatever...and so the Spinner-looking Deckard's car interiors in the Deckard-calls-Sebastian scene. they probably needed the car's side window to look more tapered or whatever that shape, and the Spinner's side window just happened to look as they wanted.

Answered in the UCE.

Apparently only one car interior was ever made for shooting...it was the Police Spinner.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:29 pm

Most of the original props were destroyed on purpose to keep them showing up in other films. Only a few were saved.
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:22 am

Masao wrote:There is a Spinner missing!

-1/1 Rachael Spinner
-1/1 Police Spinner
-1/1 Police Spinner interior
-1/12 Police Spinner miniature

Wha? There was a 1/1 Rachael Spinner? Can it be seen in the film anywhere?
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:45 am

I found it several weeks ago when BR was broadcast. Now I can't locate it. I'll have to watch all the versions to find it again.
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:04 am

You can bet I'll be doing the same thing!

I love the ol' 'Alfa Romeo' spinner. Used to have the ERTL car, but I eBayed it. :cry:
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:05 pm

Masao wrote:More importantly (drum roll please!)

-1/1 Rachael Spinner

I am pretty sure this was never made. At least it was never seen in the movie.
<<

pris25

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:26 pm

What happens to Rachel and Deckard after they leave his apartment?

Why was Rachel "spared" at the end of the movie?
<<

Rado

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:50 pm

I wonder why there even was a Blade Runner unit. Apparently, those six escaped Nexus 6 in the movie were a big deal and something quite extraordinary. If we assume a Blade Runner lives from bounty to bounty, they would all go broke pretty fast. Unless they have a desk job of sorts when they're not on a hunt, working on new tests and consulting with Tyrell people.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:50 pm

In the movie, the Blade Runner unit is a police detachment that deals with rogue replicants that end up on earth, from any generation. They're not bounty hunters. It's just the Nexus 6 units are particularly tricky to deal with.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Rado

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:18 pm

deleted wrote:In the movie, the Blade Runner unit is a police detachment that deals with rogue replicants that end up on earth, from any generation. They're not bounty hunters. It's just the Nexus 6 units are particularly tricky to deal with.

Well, they are bounty hunters in the book, but that's beside the point. I just find it hard to believe that, even though replicants are illegal on earth, there are enough of theme here that it calls for a separate department.

Also, after a "bloody mutiny on an off-world colony", the sensible thing to do would be outlawing replicants off-world, not on Earth, or at least putting a ban on Nexus 6 models.

Of course, all this is purely academic. I am able to suspend disbelief and those thoughts only entered my mind years and years after first watching the movie. Those should be actually considered story seeds rather than nitpicks ;)
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:13 am

I am aware of the books status on them being bounty hunters. But this is the movie, not the book.

If you have a slave revolt, do you terminate all the slaves? No, you deal with the revolt, and get back to working your other slaves.

The Nexus 6 is the latest, and they probably don't make older generations anymore. The companies are big enough that they would never stop making them.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
Previous

Return to Blade Runner Round Table