"Father" vs "Fucker"

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:45 pm

"Father" vs "Fucker"

In this video, Scott states that the "I want more life, fucker" line was replaced with the "I want more life, father" take. I definitely understand his reasoning on it, as it does make sense in context to the scene, especially with how Roy acts ("I've done...questionable things...") but I was wondering, what is the opinion of other Blade Runner fans on this change?
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:49 am

:shock: An expletive!

Context wise, "father" is most apt. But "fucker" makes Roy look real bad ass.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:10 pm

The "father" line was used in the American broadcast version, so basically it's a bowdlerization. It is a bowdlerization that was approved of by Scott, sort of like the use of "shoot, negro!" and similar bowdlerizations in the American broadcast version of Pulp Fiction written by Quentin Tarantino.

I suppose that Scott has the right to do this, provided that the writers also are on board. But I liked the harshness and menace in the original line. He is not being reunited with his father. He is facing the evil genius who made his enslavement possible.

I would have rather they kept the line as it is. However, again, Scott has the right to do this. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that Scott didn't go the George Lucas route and bury the film under layers and layers of CGI eye candy.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Caru

Post Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:44 pm

:shock: What?
I somewhat can understand, but think it is a pity.
Rutger was told to say it in such a way that it could sound like both. And I always liked that.
Indeed; the menace and bitterness in it.

(I even made my laptop say the line, so every time it shuts down you hear that, still makes me laugh out loud :lol: very childish, I know :roll: :lol: )
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:29 pm

eccentricbeing wrote::shock: An expletive!

Context wise, "father" is most apt. But "fucker" makes Roy look real bad ass.

Scott had noted that. They thought it was cool and edgy at the time, but now they see it differently.

msgeek wrote:The "father" line was used in the American broadcast version, so basically it's a bowdlerization. It is a bowdlerization that was approved of by Scott, sort of like the use of "shoot, negro!" and similar bowdlerizations in the American broadcast version of Pulp Fiction written by Quentin Tarantino.

I suppose that Scott has the right to do this, provided that the writers also are on board. But I liked the harshness and menace in the original line. He is not being reunited with his father. He is facing the evil genius who made his enslavement possible.

I would have rather they kept the line as it is. However, again, Scott has the right to do this. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that Scott didn't go the George Lucas route and bury the film under layers and layers of CGI eye candy.

Really? I was under the impression that the actual take was only ever in the workprint. Was it an overdub done by the television studios? I can only ever remember the TV versions cutting off "fucker" from the line.

Caru wrote::shock: What?
Rutger was told to say it in such a way that it could sound like both. And I always liked that.

(I even made my laptop say the line, so every time it shuts down you hear that, still makes me laugh out loud :lol: very childish, I know :roll: :lol: )

Neat! I have my computer shut down to "Milk and cookies kept you awake, eh?" because I usually go to bed rather late.
-Ridley Scott
<<

starramus

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:06 pm

Caru wrote::shock: What?

Yes he slurs it quite heavily, but it always has sounded more like fucker than father to me. In fact i didn't even know about the father alternative until i turned on the subtitles and saw it. It is a fatherly situation with admittedly Oedipal connotations. "Father i want to kill you! Mother i want to fuck you!" Tyrell being both mother and father.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:12 pm

The Door's "The End" just made a lot more sense to me now.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:49 am

There are actually three versions of this line (and you'll see all three in some form if you get the 4- or 5-disc sets):

"I want more life, father." - Workprint, Final Cut
"I want more life, fucker." - Theatrical, International, Director's Cuts.
"I want more life." - Alt. broadcast version (shown in Dangerous Days.)

Given that "father" is used in the Workprint, it actually makes it the original choice, historically-speaking. The line was then changed to "fucker" for the last 25 years and has now been restored to its original state, at the director's request.

Having said all that, I slightly prefer "fucker." But not so much that I'm going hold it against the Final Cut.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:54 pm

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:There are actually three versions of this line (and you'll see all three in some form if you get the 4- or 5-disc sets):

Given that "father" is used in the Workprint, it actually makes it the original choice, historically-speaking. The line was then changed to "fucker" for the last 25 years and has now been restored to its original state, at the director's request.

Having said all that, I slightly prefer "fucker." But not so much that I'm going hold it against the Final Cut.

OK cool...I thought the alternate dialogue was recorded for broadcast, sort of like how Quentin Tarantino directed an ADR session for Pulp Fiction which included Tarantino-approved word substitutions for some of the more colorful dialogue. This is new information for me. Thank you for letting us know about this. I feel better about "father" now. However, I prefer "fucker" too. It communicates a lot more of Batty's righteous indignation about his slave status and his foreshortened lifespan.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:There are actually three versions of this line (and you'll see all three in some form if you get the 4- or 5-disc sets):

Excellent. Looking forward to checking that out.

I, like everyone else (except Paul M. Sammon) is used to the fucker line. But I'm still very receptive to this one.
-Ridley Scott
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:14 pm

At least we didn't get a scene with a CGI-rendered Mary where Deckard happens to step on her foot.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:32 pm

eccentricbeing wrote:At least we didn't get a scene with a CGI-rendered Mary where Deckard happens to step on her foot.

lol. Well, the Jabba scene was from 1977/76, but with a fat Scot in place instead.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Merc

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:45 pm

eccentricbeing wrote:At least we didn't get a scene with a CGI-rendered Mary where Deckard happens to step on her foot.

Too bad. I was looking forward to the "Holden Shoots First" scene myself :wink:
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:30 pm

Merc wrote:

Too bad. I was looking forward to the "Holden Shoots First" scene myself :wink:

That made my day. :lol:
-Ridley Scott
<<

spinner44

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:24 pm

I prefer FUCKER. It works well with my new design.

Next

Return to Blade Runner Round Table