my choice for new bladerunner: Ben browder

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

n4nobit

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon May 07, 2007 11:53 pm

my choice for new bladerunner: Ben browder

Mr. Browder seems to have the right aesthetics and personal chutzpah. The manner in which he waves around his gun winona on Farscape shows he's got the correct style and he's the right age the same age Harrison was I believe when he did it. Browder has a serious side too if he can do melancholy he would be perfect for a new blade runner film, IMHO. *Incidentally* browder starred with Sean Young (replicant Rachael) in some mystery and murder movie.

But the rich snobs who control PKD's estate probably won't sign off on a sequel they'll have to be tricked or forced into it -- I wager they're connected to the same bastards over at fox and Sci Fi who canceled Farscape and internally sabotaged Joss Whedon's Firefly.

I think that these film fascists I allude to fought Paramount studios at the syndication level and the creative level just enough to weaken the competition to the point of putting out a series like Enterprise and want to keep controling the nationswide distribution of barely A-grade scifi like Galactica and that other show across the continents of America, Australia and Canada. I dunno what Ridley scott thinks of a modern sequel with some new twists. Personally I think if they can get the rights it should be a cross between the old school and something like Minority Report. For sure something with cybernetic aspirations, mechanics and dreams.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Tue May 08, 2007 12:28 am

Well now...where to begin?

Got that off your chest? :?

In regards to the "PKD's estate", I don't believe they are a major factor in whether or not a sequel is made or not. I believe the major players are the Blade Runner Partnership and Warner Brothers.

I can't comment on the Farscape sabotage, Paramount....film facist flurk.

But...a new film inspired by Blade Runner, of that same time table/film noir genre, would be most desirable. :)

Welcome to the forums!
<<

n4nobit

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue May 08, 2007 1:47 pm

more thoughts on this

>Got that off your chest? Confused

There hasn't been a lot of quality scifi lately on film or TV so I rant. The only one I can find in blockbuster is Deja Vu: http://imdb.com/title/tt0453467/

>In regards to the "PKD's estate", I don't >believe they are a major factor in whether >or not a sequel is made or not. I believe >the major players are the Blade Runner >Partnership and Warner Brothers.

Ok. One thing I wish people like George Lucas and Tolkien's estate would get on board with is what I call derivative licensing using bylaws for legal purposes in a collaborative sense to cover and satisfy copyrights.

Whenever the Jedis do a film they have lots of paperback books out following similar plotlines and themes but never any [side] films or [independent][,] official short [film] takes. If they turned on derivative licensing then protection of specific creative content would be addressed using lookup tables and public, private-profit databases. For instance in Star Wars not anyone can use the words light saber in their own fictional work it's copyrighted and you probably could not get away with using the words laser sword either if it was described as colored in appearance.

>I can't comment on the Farscape sabotage, >Paramount....film facist flurk.

In terms of the Firefly cancelation I do not have proof. I fully realize absence of proof is not proof itself. I have a strong hunch. A few strong aficionados including myself believe Rupert Murdoch may have been behind it because that man is a right-wing wingnut and wingnuts regardless of ideology do crazy things without explanation or logic. The whole scene with Joss Whedon and Firefly was really bizarre and unprecedented if you take into consideration how popular the show was just before its untimely demise. Most know that the actors were fooling around, a lot. That's to be expected it is their right and boosts natural creativity and initiative. There was a small army of writers for Firefly including David Gerrold and the many layers of firefly producers understood financial compartmentalization and proprietary syndication [[enough]] to protect their assets from what I've read.. so WTF? Firefly's ratings were average or likely above average the first (and only) season. The only one who survived the FOX massacre was Nathan Fillion who is still working for fox on the new series "Drive" (another good Deckard candidate, IMHO).

I take the Murdoch theory further and suspect that that codger invested in the long term future of Battlestar Galactica and told his Board of directors to axe Firefly seeing the competition on the horizon (the timing fits, FF came out on 9/'02, BG just after: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar ... -imagining). BG sucks it is depressing its drama is overamplified and it has a monotonicity that rivals that of Star Trek: TNG. Firefly was fresh and original a western scifi with Chinese dialog. Of course Murdoch would help kill something fresh and original he helped sell an illegal international conflict in the middle east using his media. BG really sucks but Edward James Olmos is good in it.

I bring up all this chatter because if we as a virtual community are successful in both rallying solidarity and financial support for a new BR film or t.v. series we and the cast do not want to be 86'd by Warner.

>But...a new film inspired by Blade Runner, >of that same time table/film noir genre, >would be most desirable. Smile

We're working on it!

>Welcome to the forums!

thanks
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed May 09, 2007 3:57 am

Personally, I am completely against ANY kind of TV show, film sequel, or remake to Blade Runner, ever.

I love how the movie is stand-alone [with the obvious exception of the source material, DADOES, but even then]. It doesn't need to continue.

I am aware of the book sequels. They don't exist in my mind, and never will.

But that's my opinion.

And yeah, welcome to Bladezone.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

The Abyss Gazes Also

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed May 09, 2007 11:32 am

I'm also against a direct sequel or remake of Blade Runner and I'm doubtful that even a different story in the same setting as the film's would be able to "catch lightning in a bottle" the way BR did, but I wouldn't be opposed to someone trying.

I agree that there is a lack of quality Sci-Fi movies and television, but there's also a general lack of quality movies and television, period.

Regarding copyright law, what are you doing to support your derivative licensing concept? I wish you well, but Lucas seems like a tough nut to crack.
"It would only take a nudge to make you like me; to push you out of the light."

The Abyss Gazes Also
<<

dan-freefall

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu May 10, 2007 8:20 am

I cant help but worry that any project, be it directly or indirectly associated with the original film, fail to meet any expectations. Unfortunately, even if we try not to, we will have some expectations.

About Ben Browder: I see what you mean. I especially liked the episode of Farscape season 3 'The Choice' which is set in a similar future-noir cityscape. I think that something with a similar setting and feel with Ben Browder as the lead would be great. Weather or not it should be BR:2 is another matter.
<<

diesaturn

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu May 10, 2007 9:06 am

If they want to "try" a remake or a sequel to BR, I say go for it. It's not going to effect my love for the original in any way.

The only thing that would truly bother me is if they tried some George Lucas-esque tactics and added extra CG & extra scenes into the original. I hated Lucas for doing that to the SW movies.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu May 10, 2007 1:59 pm

diesaturn, are you talking about a sequel or the current film? Because from what we've heard, the Final cut will have added stuff, and possibly some CG fixes.
-Ridley Scott
<<

n4nobit

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu May 10, 2007 10:34 pm

reply to: Abyss

Regarding copyright law, what are you doing
to support your derivative licensing concept? I wish you well, but Lucas seems like a tough nut to crack.

Them: it looks like Lucas may be making 2 live action Star Wars films but not with the Skywalker characters. The news broke on the day I started this thread. What a pleasant coincidence..

Me: right now to bolster support among people I'm in the advocacy and guerilla marketing stages advertising what we're informally calling the open source business model campaign which includes better more thorough forms of licensing and instituting collaborative bylaws.

Heard of open source software like Linux? Like knowing how computer programming code works from the inside out we want openly charted frameworks and templates with all dependent metrics deliberated, decided on and implemented in advance to both guide 21st century business resources plus revenue and, separately, help government in the non-profit sector. The Tyrell Corporation we are not. :) The original licensing ideas are not mine but I understand most of the concepts and practices and wish to pursue them at the professional level. We (myself and others in the PacificNorthwest) have been working in the engineering and social realms but will not leave out the entertainment area in the long term.

I will do what I can short of getting cybernetic implants or making a replicant clone of myself. :)
<<

diesaturn

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon May 21, 2007 10:30 am

deleted wrote:diesaturn, are you talking about a sequel or the current film? Because from what we've heard, the Final cut will have added stuff, and possibly some CG fixes.

Well, I wouldn't mind some "polishing" type of work, like making the images clearer or sound improvements. With the Star Wars dvds, i really liked the improvements to the images, I just don't like when they add in things like Hayden as Anakin in the end of ROTJ. I'd hate to see them film a whole new spinner sequence in 2007 and add it into a movie from 1981.

I think Lucas has really lost his mind.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue May 22, 2007 1:26 am

You need to remember something.

Ridley Scott isn't George Lucas. The 1982 masterpiece will only look great in 2007.
-Ridley Scott

Return to Blade Runner Round Table