FAQ  •  Login

Unsolved Mysteries - Blade Runner

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:33 pm

Masao wrote:Replicants are referred to by their first names: -Pris, Rachael, Roy, etc.

Humans are called by their last names: -Holden, Gaff, Bryant, etc.

If Deckard is supposed to be a Replicant, why is he called by his last name?

good freaking question to the people that are fans of skin jobs! :idea:
"I'm kinda nervous when I take tests" -leon
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Taffy is called by his first name too, does that mean he is a replicant?

The Irony to a degree is that we call people whom we know personally by their first name, but usually strangers and those that are in positions of authority by their last name i.e. Mr._, Officer _, Doctor_, Captain_, and so on. People also in the military and police force will also call each other by their last name (or a nickname) with or without their rank, as in all the examples above. In our lives the more human they are to us the more likely we would call them by their first name.

If it was in anyway intentional to use the name idea in the movie, maybe the point was that the replicants were trying to feel more human by using their first names, and people who are playing their professional role are less than human.

Because of the inconsistencies though, I think it was not intentional or meant hint at anything.

Andy
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Huh.

See, I have a theory. The hockey dancers from the FC are Nexus 95's. They took forever to boot up, but man, they didn't use much memory. Problem with the 1.0 models was that they would often skip at a couple specific spots in some of the looping dance routine programs.

The Nexus 98 (2nd edition) models finally took care of this, but their main issue was a guy with an umbrella walking in front of the camera in the workprint.

Let's not even get into the Nexus ME edition models...
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:40 am

...but then again, Batty doesn't call Deckard Rick, Ricky or any variation of Dick. He calls him Deckard. He also calls Chew, Chew and Tyrell, Tyrell, not Eldon.

BTW, in an outtake it is clear that Gaff is not a Blade Runner.

I think some of these mysteries may be due to revisions from script to final cut.
<<

jimmymack8

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Unsolved Mysteries - Blade Runner

what are those weird monitors in Deckard's apartment? and what's that looping picture in them? ...........I always thought they were security monitors.
Chew...if only you could see, what I've seen with your eyes!
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:13 pm

jimmymack8 wrote:what are those weird monitors in Deckard's apartment? and what's that looping picture in them? ...........I always thought they were security monitors.

After getting better looks at them thanks to the Anniversary set, I am pretty sure they are two separate Fresnel lenses, that "Widen" an image rather than magnify it. Very likely the same kind that you can buy for a van's rear window to see traffic and other things behind, and below you. Considering the panel they are attached to looks concave and in the same shape as a van window, the whole thing may be exactly that.

Also it looks like two (or maybe only one) TV behind it, set with the vertical or horizontal "Hold" turned off center. The image if it is even one, looks to be non moving in itself outside the "flipping" of it. Similar lenses are used in the store front window by the White Dragon where we first see Deckard. They are attached to the windows with the TV's behind them. It may have been a kind of attempt to create a flat screen type monitor.

The ones in the storefront were also not clear and out of tune, but when Deckard gets up and walks over to the Sushi man, they become clear and in focus. This was written into at least the storyboards, and may have been meant as one of Ridley's clues about Deckard's origin.

Andy
<<

Ambiguous

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:52 am

Do androids actually dream of electric sheep?
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:11 am

Re:

ridleynoir wrote:Taffy is called by his first name too, does that mean he is a replicant?

The Irony to a degree is that we call people whom we know personally by their first name, but usually strangers and those that are in positions of authority by their last name i.e. Mr._, Officer _, Doctor_, Captain_, and so on. People also in the military and police force will also call each other by their last name (or a nickname) with or without their rank, as in all the examples above. In our lives the more human they are to us the more likely we would call them by their first name.

If it was in anyway intentional to use the name idea in the movie, maybe the point was that the replicants were trying to feel more human by using their first names, and people who are playing their professional role are less than human.

Because of the inconsistencies though, I think it was not intentional or meant hint at anything.

Andy

point taken, but taffy ,i don't think, is in the official character list. if you think about it,...Anyway taffy could be a replicant,who knows. i know one thing,replicants should have been made not to drink,so it would not interfere with there work,No one wants a drunk laborer , espesially one with feelings getting in the way of doing his appointed position that may require important, technical components. You know something,i can't remember if i saw any "known" replicants drinking.Once a movie escapes the hands of it"s maker, it could go any way the viewer interprets, blade runner..the perfect example! if i say this is "my" favorite movie,i mean just that. :)
"I'm kinda nervous when I take tests" -leon
Previous

Return to Blade Runner Round Table