FAQ  •  Login

new site update

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:47 am

new site update

hi, a quick message to say the site is almost ready for its makeover. Gerry kissell is currently working on a new front end, an i (Gary Carden) will be in charge of the upkeep of the site.

some of the new things too include :-

* Gary Wilburys notes from Syd meads lecturers

* 7min blade runner clip, made entirely of deleted scenes, alternate cuts, workprint scenes etc etc!

have a better one.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:47 am

Err... Maybe I missed something. I think a proper news update with full detail is in order. I didn't know Gerry was getting involved with the site again after all this time (good thing), and what happened to Rich Gunn, did he quit as manager? And, hum... who are you? Don't mean to be rude or anything, just that your name doesn't sound familiar, he he. :oops:
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

nails6365

Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:26 pm

basically we`ve not seen any new material for years, nor has anybody tried to help, i approached Gary W and got the ball rolling again. ive not heard a peep from richard gunn.

Gerry has been very positive when ive spoken to him, hopefully in a week or so he would have finished the new front end, once thats done i can think about the new reviews.

Ive listened to some music that is uncanilly familiar with Vangels, and upon first time round, sounds absolutly awsome. Expect this review and much more over the next few weeks, the existing info will still be inplace, though the `new news` will be prominant at the top.

Gary W`s notes on the syd mead lecture will also come to light after what appears to be many years.

as i say, ive not spoken to richard gunn, but get the impression it would be updated between myself Gary C, Gary W and Gerry
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:30 pm

nails6365 wrote:
as i say, ive not spoken to richard gunn, but get the impression it would be updated between myself Gary C, Gary W and Gerry

i dont think i should say anything, but richard and i have been talking in the chats, he cant get a peep from anyone or access to the server/database. sounds like he got fed up and is planning on starting his own server (i dont want to speak for rich on this though). there was talks of him moving the forums as well since bladezone was practically dead.

BTW, did you guys see *MY* notes on a syd mead lecture i had already posted? no need to wait the years you said it took, we already got one.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:14 am

Mmm, I see... Seems to be a communication breakdown. I never got to know how good/frequent was contact between Gerry and Richard but sometimes it seemed to me that Rich was all by himself with noone else with the will _and_ time to commit to the site management. Frankly, I thought Gerry wasn't simply into BR anymore and just kept the site running since it is his legacy to the fandom.

I don't think this isn't easily solvable. Maybe Richard can keep the forums admin, and you get the content management? I recently said that in my mind I see WEKurtz BR Blog as "BladeZone News", and if I didn't have serious issues of internet access, sure I'd just make an english version of his spanish-only blog, so everybody could check it out.

About taking the forums somewhere else (where, new place or existing site?), well, it'd be a shame to get the site split, but anyway there's nothing on internet that's more than 3 clicks away... Hope you talk to each other, please do contact R. Gunn, don't let him out of what's happening. It's gotta be damn bad to feel being simply put aside from somethign you've put lots of time and effort into, and I think he is a very good member of the team (well, he has kindof been _the team_ for years now!) and a very valuable guy who deserves anyhting but being left out without a word.

(Sorry if my opinions are misinformed or anything, don't mean to upset anyone... I just want this place to be better everyday, everyway).

Anyway, nice to meet you, Gary Garden. :)

Syd Lectures: Yes, I had the impression that THX was working a rewrite of his very informative notes into a full article... Come to light after many years? That means they attended different lectures, so Dave (THX) could compare notes and write it four-hand with Gary W (if he's willing, of course)?
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

THX1138

Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:11 pm

Centauro wrote:Syd Lectures: Yes, I had the impression that THX was working a rewrite of his very informative notes into a full article... Come to light after many years? That means they attended different lectures, so Dave (THX) could compare notes and write it four-hand with Gary W (if he's willing, of course)?

i was working on a rewrite before i was informed that there was already another article soon to hit bladezone, so i put it on hold. i didnt want to waste the time if it wasnt going to be up to par with the other article. i guess i could continue it though.
<<

nails6365

Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:29 pm

ive not read any of the articles in question, so there would be a direct interpritation of the lecture that Gary W. attended, some years ago.

i`ll ask gary for richards email address, and see whats going on, would be great to (over the net) get together and have a larger site, rather than anyone or anyting breaking away. ??
<<

photek

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:41 pm

Centauro wrote: I recently said that in my mind I see WEKurtz BR Blog as "BladeZone News", and if I didn't have serious issues of internet access, sure I'd just make an english version of his spanish-only blog, so everybody could check it out.

i agree Centauro!

cant read anything aside from English and Russian - but i still like very much WEKurtz's Blog (WEKurtz - you've done a man's job!)! even if i cant read Spanish... i can at least get a tip if there's news, maybe do a Babblefish and go from there. WEKurtz's site is wonderful - i am sooo behind an English mirror site of this visually pleasing and informative site!
FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD
- George Orwell
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:36 pm

Let's Work Together!

Yes Folks. Let's please try to work together! We all do seem to have (many! :) )side projects and lose touch. Also, a little holiday from the Blade Runner multiverse is always a good idea every once in a while too.

Rich did start a "project" that I got involved with that got shelved (hopefully only temporary) a while back, and it would be a shame for it to lie to waste. Perhaps with some encouragement and communication we can clear the kipple and continue to improve on and build up on the strengths BladeZone has; a strong fan base, "connections", and a creative lot of Folks!

Thrive!
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:09 pm

Re: Let's Work Together!

Kipple wrote:Yes Folks. Let's please try to work together! We all do seem to have (many! :) )side projects and lose touch. Also, a little holiday from the Blade Runner multiverse is always a good idea every once in a while too.

Rich did start a "project" that I got involved with that got shelved (hopefully only temporary) a while back, and it would be a shame for it to lie to waste. Perhaps with some encouragement and communication we can clear the kipple and continue to improve on and build up on the strengths BladeZone has; a strong fan base, "connections", and a creative lot of Folks!

Thrive!

i can only partly agree. as of now, it seems all bladezone is is the community forums. the main site isnt being updated at all. last update was the article on "a spinner rising" last christmas. if rich cant access the main servers and get anyone to talk to him about the main servers so he can maintain the content, what good is bladezone but a good community?
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:10 pm

Yay, let's hear it for the new bladezone team member!! :D

Just to clarify - it is true that I handed in my Bladezone 'badge'. After doing nearly 5 years (!!) of site maintenance I, err, well I had had enough of it.

I was hoping the 'special' edition would re-invigorate the site and forum, but as we all know, it never happened. That was very disappointing. I did enjoy creating the Off-World newsletter, but new info dried up fast and I found myself spending a lot of time scouring the net for news. That became too much of an effort to keep up, so I stopped.

BUT, I have put a lot of time and effort into this forum and still want to keep a hold of it - it's got a LOT of good posts from many of the regulars (and some not-so-regular) users.

This idea of 'splitting' away from Bladezone had crossed my mind - the Bladezone site is full of static HTML pages which are 'high' maintenance - I wanted to move to a Content Management System type structure that would allow the site to be maintained via a browser and also provide many user-friendly options such as article submission, visitor guest book, 'shout box', dynamic image gallery, integrated forum and news bar and many other cool things...

...then the server got moved and I haven't been able to get on since. At which point, I decided to call it a day.

I've decided that I am going to create my own 'dynamic' site - not Blade Runner related, but perhaps with a general Sci-Fi / Noirish / Fan-fiction feel to it. I've already got a 'local' version running on my laptop - it was a doddle to install and has a very 'clean' layout and feel.

So, my involvement with Bladezone is purely forum-related now.

Kipple, as soon as I get access to the server I'll 'unshelve' our 'project'. :D

Gary C, check your forum private messages. 8)

BTW, thanks to everyone for their kind comments - you all give this place a real sense of community and it chokes me up when I read stuff like that.
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:00 am

I just want to put in my two cents about the Blade Zone site. Even though I no longer visit the site daily the way I used too (for about 10 yrs), it is still the first site I go to to look up reference material. Like a good Dictionary or Encyclopedia, it's value is eternal to me. I hope more happens in the BR world soon, but for now I am happy with what I get here at the forums and the BR site.
<<

nails6365

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:07 am

the video ive put together is now completed, and will be made public over the next few weeks.

due to the sheer size of the bladezone site (370mb worth of html files and rather small .jpg files...) the new site may be rather complicated to update. rather than just put a new front door on the site, i may start a fresh and add the links/files as an ongoing project.

i would like to take this opportunity to thank some people.. and i dont even know who they are! the 7 min movie contains still, deleted scenes and alternate scenes etc. that i have used from a variety of sites, notablly mr J B Castillo from `blade runner photos and more` (http://www.ctv.es/USERS/canetor/BladeRunner2.htm)

another thing im looking forward to is a review of a CD, to which the music scores sound uncanilly like vangelis
(http://www.parsick.com/)

if there is no sign of progress on the site, i`ll post the link to the rough cut of the video.

GaryC
<<

nails6365

Post Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:00 am

im still waiting the graphics from gerry, so in the mean time, ive added the link to the video on the site, feel free to give me feedback, or even send ridley a copy :)
<<

nails6365

Post Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:51 pm

28-oct-05

as you may see, the site is now being updated regularly. please send your idea/suggestions and new material to any of the bladezone team.

ive not received any feedback for the blade runner video i submitted??

is it that bad :?:
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
Next

Return to Blade Runner Round Table