FAQ  •  Login

What stuff in the book did you wish was in the movie?

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:46 am

What stuff in the book did you wish was in the movie?

I have to say I liked the whole police station scene in the book. I think it would've been pretty cool for the movie. Also the subplot involving Deckard's quest to get a genuine animal.
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:33 pm

yeah, i liked the police station thing. maybe that and the luba luft opera house and art museum scenes instead of the nightclub.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

BR796164

Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:36 am

There was already a suggestion some time ago, what would happen if somebody decided to make another movie adaptation of DADoES - and even called it "DADoES".

It would be an interesting outcome, though I don't know if I really want it...
<<

THX1138

Post Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:45 am

i'd want it. a strict DADOES movie, nothing straying away from the book as blade runner did. it would get confusing to people though "dadoes movie == blade runner, but then dadoes movie == dadoes, leaving blade runner behind.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Predrhone

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:44 pm

A DADoES film would be quite different from blade runner. In fact, the only similarities might be names and that Deckard's hunting androids. Otherwise, a completely different path to the same ultimatum...

I always thought the idea of the mood organ/ little black empathy box was so interesting and tragic. Including it in Blade Runner might've been like adding more colors to an already busy painting, but it's probably my favorite Dick-ian concept...
"I will wait for you, until the sky is blue. I will wait for you, what else can I do?"
<<

BR796164

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:06 am

The prob is that Dick never was a good techie visionary, he invented some machine, but didnt bother himself to make it technically believable and practic. Some inventions would look kinda funny in real - like the wired disc which was transmitting capuillary dilatations data from person's face to the VK machine.
Or the "anti-fallout lead covers" people were wearing outdoors.
So if somebody made an exact adaptation of DADOES, its vision of the future
would look very obsolete and funny to modern audience.

Retrofitted technology in BR has some reality in it, at least.
<<

Predrhone

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:04 pm

I like that aspect actually... the way that a lot of the technology is function oriented, and not especially for convenience or 'fashion.' There's no feng shui in the future... something has a purpose, and it does it, while looking butt ugly in the process, though it gets it done. Kind of a diluted consciousness sort of thing, that I think fits well in Dick's fantastic futurism... no it isn't practical, but it does what it's supposed to do - Just like Deckard. :)
"I will wait for you, until the sky is blue. I will wait for you, what else can I do?"

Return to Blade Runner Round Table