Blade Runner - The "Fan Cut" (FC)

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

BladeRvnner

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue May 17, 2005 8:57 am

Blade Runner - The "Fan Cut" (FC)

Has anyone ever re-edited BR into a "Fan Cut" of sorts? A FC... LOL! Not a montage or short trailer, I mean taking the various OV and DC, etc. cuts and editing into a custom version? If you were to do that, what would your cut include or not include?

My "Fan Cut" would look like this:
- Include the voice-over
- Include the "extra violence"
- Include the "Unicorn Scene"
- EXCLUDE the "Happy Ending"

Did I miss anything? What would your "Fan Edit" look like?

Last edited by BladeRvnner on Sun May 22, 2005 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMG, Bit Torrent rules...
<<

Predrhone

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue May 17, 2005 5:13 pm

...I think my "fan cut" would be the version Ridley did back in 2000... :shock:

:wink:
"I will wait for you, until the sky is blue. I will wait for you, what else can I do?"
<<

THX1138

Post Tue May 17, 2005 8:37 pm

is this deja vu? or havent we had this topic already? i said in another thread that my cut would be the DC with the narration included, but no happy ending. im pretty sure we've disgussed this, but i could be wrong. let me dig up that link and get back to you on this.

-edit-
http://bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... ght=custom
http://bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... ght=hybrid

that's about all i could find.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

BladeRvnner

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue May 17, 2005 10:24 pm

Interesting... Looks like a lot of people had the same idea, and even had the same basic edits in mind... Voiceover makes it more noir-ish, the extra violence is always fun, I like the dek-a-rep tease just for the sake of the controversy so Unicorn is in, but the happy ending totally sucks, so end it at the elevator. If I had a solid clean rip of the OV, I could easily re-render and encode a version like that without too much work -- would be kind of fun. But my OV is a piece of junk mpg rip from the Critereon Laser Disc. God, when, if ever, are we going to see the SE? Man we could have fun re-editing with all the extras...
<<

Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed May 18, 2005 10:02 pm

Mine is pretty much identical to yours.
Gaff: "You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you are through?"

Deckard: "Finished".
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Thu May 19, 2005 3:41 am

Prtetty much describes the "hybrid cut" that I've been mentioning for years now, the one that noone seems to have info about. That's the version I like best.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

BladeRvnner

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun May 22, 2005 4:18 pm

Centauro wrote:Prtetty much describes the "hybrid cut" that I've been mentioning for years now, the one that noone seems to have info about. That's the version I like best.

OK. Screw this, I've made my own hybrid "Fan Cut" by using a combination of the Original Version theatrical release (OV) and the Director's Cut (DC). I started with the Criterion Laser Disc SVCD-ripped version (Int'l version?), which has the voiceover of Deckard's commentary and extra violence in it (Pris' death, Tyrell's death, and Batty's nail-into-hand scenes).

I then inserted the "Unicorn Scene" from the Director's Cut into the OV. But I did NOT insert the atonal chorus music that went with the Unicorn scene in the DC. Instead, I left the OC soundtrack intact and got creative with extending the music to fill the extra time needed because of the Unicorn scene addition (I had to plug a 3-4 second gap). That edit came out very clean and basically unnoticeable and perfect if I do say so myself. Plus the OV music actually works quite well without the annoying DC soundtrack in this spot, and it even still ephasizes the Unicorn dream sequence just as needed to draw the viewer's attention to the dream.

Next, I removed the "Happy Ending" of the OV in favor of the "Elevator Ending" of the DC. Another very clean and unnoticeable edit where I inserted the DC footage starting when they leave Deckard's apartment. I thought about adding some of Deckard's voiceover back into the scene for fun, but it seemed to work much better without it (it makes the ending more ambiguous to leave out his voiceover that says Rachael was "special" and had no "expiration date" according to Tyrell), so this represents the only part of the OV voiceover that was removed from my Fan Hybrid Cut. I came real close to just adding the voiceover snip "Gaff had been there and let her live" from the happy ending sequence to the moment right when Deckard sees the oragami Unicorn on the floor and just before the memory of Gaff's comment about "It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does..." But in the end, I decided against adding it, and went with the straight DC version of the ending.

Finally, for the sake of completeness, I added the text "THE FAN CUT" centered under the title "BLADE RUNNER" in the opening credits using a nearly identical font, color, and timing, and then I blurred the text a little to make it look similar to the BLADE RUNNER text from the SVCD OV version that I started with -- basically, it looks like it's supposed to be there. And, I also added a new credit and short explanation of what the Hybrid Fan Cut included and excluded with respect to the OV and DC in the very first closing edit after the elevator closes. This additional closing credit was also done using the same basic font, color, blur, and timing as the rest of the closing credits so as to seem to look like it was always supposed to be there. However, there is a small audio drop-out during the closing credit, but that drop-out is present in my source video so there was nothing I could do about it.

Finally, I cropped out the SVCD letterboxing and re-encoded to Divx format only the part of the screen that was viewable. Considering I started with a highly-compressed SVCD-encoded version of the OC and a 1mbs MPEG-encoded version of the DC, then edited them toegether and re-encoded out to Divx, the result actually came out pretty good. Now, don't get me wrong, it definately looks compressed, it is something like 480x240 in resolution, and only 700 Mb in size. So it's small and somewhat washed out, but nonetheless, I'm very surprised how decent it actually came out considering what my sources were and that I re-encoded it for a second time.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in seeing my customized hybrid "Fan Cut" version of Blade Runner, drop me a PM or IM me at my AIM address below.

<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon May 23, 2005 5:11 am

You've done a man's job, sir!!!" =D>

My hat is off to you.

\:D/

(I've sent you a PM)
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

cassius76

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:28 pm

Centauro wrote:You've done a man's job, sir!!!" =D>

My hat is off to you.

\:D/

(I've sent you a PM)

I'll second that!
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:40 pm

cassius: your avatar is too big for the blade runner forum, it distrorts the normal page layout and is a hassle for dialup users to download and load everytime a page is visited.

http://bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1207

please change it asap. thanks. and welcome to the forums.
<<

THX1138

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:52 pm

speaking of fan editing, does anyone know if the directors cut DVD is dolby 5.1 surround compatible? i know its not THX, so for that i might rip (or download) a copy of blade runner and clean up the quality, along with maybe adding in some dolby or THX compatibility. itll be hard, but i think in the end it will be worth it.
<<

cassius76

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:53 am

sorry about the avatar.

Return to Blade Runner Round Table