FAQ  •  Login

You Never Forget Your First Time

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Kobold2001

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:44 pm

I was around 10 when I first saw it (on TV). I didn't understand a word of it, but the amazing visuals stuck in my head. I also remember various scenes vividly, especially Rachael at the Tyrell Corp, Leon's VK test, and the final chase sequence.

I bought the Director's Cut DVD about a year or two ago (I'm still only 17 now) and I saw it in a whole new way. It was beutiful, well acted, and very very deep. I'm a big fan of philosophy and how films portray philosophical issues. Blade Runner is full of that stuff. Along with The Matrix, BR immediately shot to my top 3 films ever, and I've never looked back. :)
"More human than human" is our motto....
<<

The Dark Knight

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:30 am

Though I like The Matrix, I have to say that I doubt it will be as respected as Blade Runner in 20 years time. Blade Runner still looks awesome, which is an INCREDIBLE achievement considering that it was made over 20 years ago, and even more amazing is the fact that it is set in the future. Its got less cod philosophy and needless flashy FX, better acting, brilliant score, and also no chance (I hope) of ever being given a sequel onscreen, or even worse, remade. :shock:
<<

BR12819

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:49 am

weeell lets see alas i was also too young to see it in the theaters but i guess my dad had seen it and thought it was interesting so hes the one that really got me into it at first so you can blame him but anway the first time i saw it i was about 10-12 something like that and we rented the domestic cut and that night we watched it i actually turned it off or stoped watching it because i didnt understand a thing and the music was kinda annoying.

But a couple of years later i had read the book DADoES and decided to give the movie a second shot this time though i picked up the directors cut and actually liked it so as they say the rest is history
Holden:"It's a wipe out, they're almost us!"
<<

Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:49 pm

I hate to say it but i really dont remember. :oops:
Gaff: "You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you are through?"

Deckard: "Finished".
<<

rose

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:23 pm

I just saw Blade Runner for the first time yesterday. I have to say that I spent the first few minutes thinking about how cheesy the effects were. I couldn't help it - the movies from my generation are full of technological wonders. But I have seen a fair amout of older films, so I can also appreciate that this must have been spectacular at the time. Anyway, I got over the visuals and quickly realized that this was a film with deep meaning shown throught the philosophy of the story and the artistry of the director of photography. I did see lots of lighting effects that impressed me. While it was a serious commentary, I also enjoyed the humor in it (especially the "toys" - they cracked me up :lol: )

I hope I didn't insult anyone with my comments about this being an old film, but I was not even born when it came out, so it is old to me. But, I suppose I would be more correct in calling it a classic, because now I can see why it has earned this title.
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:07 am

Saw it 1982. My first thoughts on BR? Good movie but, hey, not THAT good. My friends that were with me were...with me, meaning, we all shared the same verdict. But somehow, a week later, Blade Runner drew me back in the theater, along with a friend who felt the "calling" too. During the second viewing, we were no longer in 1982 but instantly warped to the year 2019. This was exceptional film from start to finish. The problem with the first time was that BR couldn't initially fulfill our expectations because, simply put, we expected something else, much due to the fact that Ridley Scott's previous movie was Alien. I loved that movie but we were naive to think Scott was going to make another sorta "Alien" that starred Harrison Ford to wipe them all out. Yeeaaahhh!!!! Fortunately, we were dead wrong.
I ended up seeing Blade Runner eight times in theaters and each time I discovered and learned more. The truth is, everyone who hasn't seen Blade Runner on a ridiculously huge screen with images more sharp than Laserdisc and DVD together has only seen a fraction of the complete Blade Runner experience.

Leon Corporation Employee
<<

disposablehero

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:48 am

In the eighth grade i came across the movie in a small movie review book. I saw that it starred Harrison Ford (I too grew up with star wars & indiana jones). Me and a few friends rented the DC. They fell asleep about half-way through. I had never seen such a slow, dark, and beautiful movie. I knew I didnt understand it but i still liked it. It wasnt until the 2nd and 3rd viewings I fell in love with the movie.
<<

Partizan

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:05 am

Im born in 1974 so i acctually dont know exacly how old i was when i saw Blade Runner for the first time, it wasnt back in -82, i can tell you that much :D

A good guess would be 1986-88, and i dont think i enjoyed it that much, i think i was expecting more action, i liked small parts, like Deckards gun looked cool and stuff like the spinners, the sci-fi stuff basicly :P Its not untill now, many years later that i realize that the original version had a voice over. Blade Runner is my nr1 movie, cant exactly put my finger on why, thats hard to explain, it has alot to do with the enviroment, dark, futuristic, another world/another time sort of feeling, and the depth of the caracters.
Last edited by Partizan on Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"..like tears in rain.."
<<

raymccoy

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:34 pm

I found Blade Runner by the game. My brother just randomly picked it out at Future Shop. I bloody well beat that game so many times; I just loved it. Then I found out there was a movie that is was based on so I watched it. Now I was very young and was expecting it to be good but I just didnt like it. So there it stayed for years when one day I just remembered the game and movie. I decided to give the movie another go and loved it. I bought the game again and loved it again. So here I am now having read the "bible" and seen it so many freaking times.
<<

Luba Luft

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:16 am

Partizan wrote:Im born in 1974 so i acctually dont know exacly how old i was when i saw Blade Runner for the first time, it wasnt back in -82, i can tell you that much :D

I'm glad to see that there's hope for my 'generation' after all - I was born 1975. I believe that somehow most people born after 1972/1973 have been brainwashed. No chance of talking to anyone my age about "Don't look now", "Silent Running" or "BladeRunner" - and most of them keep saying: "Wow, that's a cool new song," whenever they hear a secondrate cover version of "Love will tear us apart". It's like Joy Division's been wiped from their memories.
Partizan, you make me happy! :D
I had seen "American Werwolf" on video by 1982, but I was too young to get to the cinema on my own at that age. I must have ssen it the first time around 1990. By 1992 I had already seen it about 10 times and going to see it on the big screen was like christmas - actually I hate christmas, so it was more like christmas is supposed to be.
For me it was love at first sight.

But the 6th replicant gave me hard time for years ...
"I'll take the test," Luba Luft said, "if you'll take it first."
<<

BR796164

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:04 am

I swear I have said somewhere else what my "first time" was like...
We have too many "first time" threads, methinks. Two at least.
I'm just too lazy to make a forum search right now. :P

EDIT> ok, it was probably on another forum. But I'll tell you eventually. 8)

rose wrote: I have to say that I spent the first few minutes thinking about how cheesy the effects were. I couldn't help it - the movies from my generation are full of technological wonders.

Happens. Just wait how obsolete will current "technological wonders of your generation" will come to your children in 20 years. :wink:
And I think that it's not easy to say which generation today's FX blockbusters movies belong to. They are still being created by moviemakers who are in their 30s or 40s, even older. Ridley Scott who once made BR and Alien is now an old sir, but he still crates visually stunning movies - Black Hawk Down and Gladiator. Even though their artistic dimmensions are rather very simple...
I consider Blade Runner for a movie of my generation just as well as the Matrix or the Lord of the Rings.

What is really beyond my generation is what our youngests watch today. Searching for Nemo, Pokemon, Ice Age... I don't watch those at all.
Last edited by BR796164 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:19 am

So if I'm the only one who saw BR in theatres, I would like others here to start bowing for me. Compare it with the Burning Bush, if you will. It's like I've seen it with my own two eyes while you only heard about it.

:wink:
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

Luba Luft

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:28 am

Leon Corporation wrote:So if I'm the only one who saw BR in theatres, I would like others here to start bowing for me. Compare it with the Burning Bush, if you will. It's like I've seen it with my own two eyes while you only heard about it.

:wink:

just because you were old enough to buy the ticket? i don't think so. :lol:
"I'll take the test," Luba Luft said, "if you'll take it first."
<<

BR796164

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:41 am

OK, attention everyone, this is our alternative "FIRST TIME" thread.
Read it for more replies on this topic if you haven't already:

http://bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... =13+7+1993

I dare to quote myself. :oops:

BR796164 wrote:
My first time...

The day was 13th July 1993...

Harrisson Ford's 51st birthday by coincidence...

I was 14, young and innocent...

The afternoon was cloudy and rainy...

The cinema was almost empty...

The celuloid copy was scratched, the sound was mono...

It was the most beautiful movie experience I ever had...

I found my lifelong love, lost my virginity...

And my life has changed forever...

<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:34 am

Just to add my voice in...(if i haven't already)...I first saw the origional on cable because it never came to the theatre where I lived in Dansville. When the directors cut came out I made sure I was there for opening day and saw it 3 times dragging whoever I could. Within the past few years the Eastman house(as in Eastman Kodak)..one of the largest film preservation museums in the nation has shown the origional as well as the directors cut at their theatre the Dryden. The cut for the orgional was a little poor in a couple of reels but was awsome to see it on the big screen and try to imagine what audiences thought when it first came out. I have put in requests for the workprint in their suggestion book and with friends of mine who work there. Also the guy who last showed the DC and opened the movie reading from Future Noir. He liked the idea and said he would look into it, but promised the origional theatrical cut will be shown again there.
PreviousNext

Return to Blade Runner Round Table