FAQ  •  Login

You Never Forget Your First Time

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:22 am

Interesting. I had the uninformed impression that LCD actually produced better image quality than Plasma. Not that I'm gonna buy any of those soon, but I'll do a search about it.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

ridleyville

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:12 am

Centauro wrote:Interesting. I had the uninformed impression that LCD actually produced better image quality than Plasma. Not that I'm gonna buy any of those soon, but I'll do a search about it.

Hi Centauro
I spent ages researching before i decided to upgrade to a flat screen, and have finally opted for a 37"Plasma. This is the smallest they now do in general but if you were to compare a decent Plasma next to most LCD you would not bother with the LCD. There is a terrible smearing effect you get movement on LCD with very little on PLasma. The way that you see an LCD image is by shining a flourescent backlight through the crystals this means that at best when the pixel is turned off you get some light getting through as it can't block it out completly, this gives you the greyish colour instead of black. The plasma on the other hand works on the same principle as a crt so black is actually black because there is no illumination of that pixel taking place. I know what i mean but hope it comes over well enough to be understood. LCD is not good at accurate colour either, i run a Audio Visual company here in the UK and have about 20 LCD Projectors. I can guarantee that if they all had the same source played into them they would all produce a very slight colour difference, even identical models.
More human than human
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:08 am

ridleyville wrote:From my personal experience you need to buy a decent PLasma tv and not a LCD.

if you're referring to me, well, i watched the DVD in my trusty CRT Sony Trinitron, which, in matter of black, has no peers. i also watched it on a CRT Philips (can't remember the model), also on a Mac and on a plasma tv (probably Samsung or Dell): [Holden's voice]"Same thing."[/Holden's voice].
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:17 pm

This is kind of awkward but I actually have forgotten a lot.

Part of the reason it is awkward is that I distinctly remember the dictionary definition at the beginning, a voice over and the 'happy ending'.

There is one problem...according to what I have been reading;this version does NOT exist!!

I has been a long time but some flashes of memory remain...or maybe they are just implants, ;) but all these moments are mainly what I remember of my first viewing.

I saw it in a theatre in Arizona at the time, so it is unlikely that I saw a workprint, but after reading what were the versions, I am just confused about this.

Was there another version no one else remembers?

My first vewing was like most people's It looked good but it wasn't my favorite film

I guess I was a little spoiled too by films I had seen previously to BR. Everything from Goldfinger to 2001. I had pretty much grown up in film noir too. My mom loved almost anything B&W. If it was off the mark, I would notice. I had seen too much not to.

It also didn't help that I was not one of the throngs of noisy drooling 7 year old SW worshippers that would accept any old thing. My anti-heroes were not villains like Darth. Mine had no names or Scottish accents...or wore hats cocked to one side and spoke with a quick banter.

2001 blew me away. SW looked cheap and there was no one on screen to really like. Of anyone, Ford was the closest.

I began to like him in "the film you will never see on TV" -Raiders. Yes they actually said that.

It was years before I really started looking at BR again. First impressions are funny sometimes.

In the Bradbury, I almost laughed. I thought " I've been there." "they used that building in..."

But the things that detract cannot overwhelm the the things that attract. The visuals and the music are irresistable and save the film from the bumbling, awkward direction.

Those points as well as the flawless miniature effects make it worth viewing.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:11 am

Masao wrote:Part of the reason it is awkward is that I distinctly remember the dictionary definition at the beginning, a voice over and the 'happy ending'. There is one problem...according to what I have been reading;this version does NOT exist!!

There's an old thread about me watching the "hybrid cut" (I'll try and provide a link later)...

That hybrid one didn't have the dictionary definition opening, but then, I remember having seen (many years before) the dictionary text once on a TV screen, though I've never seen the workrpint to date. I thought I was delusional, as nobody ever mentioned it in the versions list here, BRmovie, the FAQ... anywhere.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Masao wrote:Part of the reason it is awkward is that I distinctly remember the dictionary definition at the beginning, a voice over and the 'happy ending'. There is one problem...according to what I have been reading;this version does NOT exist!!

Centauro wrote:There's an old thread about me watching the "hybrid cut" (I'll try and provide a link later)...

That hybrid one didn't have the dictionary definition opening, but then, I remember having seen (many years before) the dictionary text once on a TV screen, though I've never seen the workrpint to date. I thought I was delusional, as nobody ever mentioned it in the versions list here, BRmovie, the FAQ... anywhere.

Glad you two brought this up. There are scenes described in FN that I, when I first read it, knew I saw in the early 80's on T.V. Like a very,very long pull-away shot of Deckard walking and disappearing into the masses and chaos of the streets. Not to mention, the hockey-masked Geishas dancing in the bubble. Can't recall if the beginning had the dictionary text. Anyhoo... I've never seen the Workprint either.

I never posted on the boards in all these years about this before `cause I thought people would think it was BS. Since I now know I have company on the matter, it was time to mention it.

I would like to see the old "hybrid cut" thread, Centauro. Maybe this topic needs it's own thread now anyway... If more people open-up about similar experiences. :)
ImageImageImage
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:16 am

Gene Ettix wrote: I would like to see the old "hybrid cut" thread, Centauro. Maybe this topic needs it's own thread now anyway... If more people open-up about similar experiences. :)

Sorry... I searched but it didn't come up. Seems like the ancient original topic had been posted in the EZ forums era and got lost when the forums moved to php. I remember at the time I was pissed off about the loss of all these discussions. Anyway, as you can imagine, I never got many replies.

But there are threads here where I've mentioned it, however. And you even commented on it, Mr. Ettix... (Hmm... is he the real Gene, or a replicant? Memories. We are talking about memories...! I confess I first became suspicious when he took down the nomad soul avatar... :P

http://bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=12836&highlight=hybrid#12836
http://bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1046&highlight=hybrid

Wish somebody came up with info about this, but after all these years I won't hold my breath.

<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:39 pm

Gene Ettix wrote: I would like to see the old "hybrid cut" thread, Centauro. Maybe this topic needs it's own thread now anyway... If more people open-up about similar experiences. :)

Centauro wrote:Sorry... I searched but it didn't come up. Seems like the ancient original topic had been posted in the EZ forums era and got lost when the forums moved to php.

Thanx for the links anyway :)
Yeah, I most likely posted on your ancient original topic on the EZ forums, as well. Back in the Day... *feeling nostalgic*

Centauro wrote:Mr. Ettix... (Hmm... is he the real Gene, or a replicant? Memories. We are talking about memories...! I confess I first became suspicious when he took down the nomad soul avatar... :P

:lol: Ahhh... the ol' Nomad Soul / Boz face. Now, that really brings back some memories. :-k
How do you like my face NOW?
No, it's really me. Really! At least I think I'm really me. :^o
ImageImageImage
<<

Christine

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:18 am

Hey, people!

I'm brand new to Blade Runner. I know....pitiful (especially considering how much I enjoy sci-fi). I told some co-workers I hadn't seen it and they were shocked....so, off we went to see Blade Runner: The Final Cut one night. I figured it would be a "typical" sci-fi film with a lot of action, etc. No problem with any of that, by the way, as I enjoy that type of stuff.

I was completely surprised.

I left feeling amazed, baffled, and inspired creatively. I couldn't stop talking about it or thinking about it that night. I drove home and immediately tried to find out other information on it. I was still trying to absorb what I saw while also reading other ideas that didn't occur to me during my watching of the film (Deckard being a replicant was something I hadn't even considered, etc.).

I wanted to get the soundtrack and after reading about all that soundtrack drama, I was pretty much :shock: . (Around, I don't know, 1,267 versions and still no regular friggin' soundtrack for this movie?!)

Anyway, I then ordered one of the silver briefcases and I also bought a used DVD of the older The Director's Cut so I wouldn't mess up the other briefcase DVDs too much (nerd alert). Plus, I wanted to hear the infamous voiceover (oooch). I also bought the 1994 release of the soundtrack.

On a side note, I am so glad that I saw The Final Cut first....on the big screen, with no voiceover, and no "happy" ending. I feel like I saw it in ideal conditions here. I also feel like I was fortunate in that I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the movie other than Sean Young was some sort of robot-woman and that's it. It completely caught me off guard.

So, I'm new to all of this and still surfing around on these boards. Thanks for reading my ramble!
Last edited by Christine on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:28 am

Welcome to the forums!

You are one of the few fortunate souls to watch the movie with untainted eyes. I am so glad for you...truly. :wink:
<<

Christine

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:33 am

Thanks, Kipple!
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:52 pm

I would like to know more about hybrid cuts myself.

Any old links??
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:35 am

ReplicantDreams wrote:I unfortunately didn't get to see Bladerunner in the theaters when it was first released, but had to wait several years later to see it on VHS. It had taken me several years to finally get around to viewing it because some of my friends who saw it hated it, and had all warned me against it and said I wouldn't like it. Boy, were they ever wrong!
[addsig]
:P wrong like puddles on a pool side lost like piss in rain :P
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:31 pm

Well, one thing about the 5 DVD set: if you wanted to reconstruct one of these "hybrid versions" just about all the raw materials are right there.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Bryan12

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:47 am

more or less, what exactly IS so important about the workprint? I'd much rather see the film in its final cut rather than seeing it without the original score, and with narration after batty's death. Unfortunately though, it's the only film version I haven't seen. More so, I do like one added bit from the workprint that was edited into the final cut which was "He can lift 400 atomic load all day and night". Perfect foreshadowing for Deckard's fight with him later.
PreviousNext

Return to Blade Runner Round Table