FAQ  •  Login

You Never Forget Your First Time

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

electric_sheep

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:38 am

i first watched blade runner on ifc, it was the directors cut. i had no idea what to expect of it. i recorded it on the satelite and after watching it for the first time i was blown away by the depth of the movie. there was so much to interpret and it really makes you think which is obviously why it is the classic it is today, after that first viewing i watched it everyday for about a week and then rented the final cut so i could see the differnece and be able to watch the film with commentary by ridley scott. haha its amazing how much a movie can suck you in!
<<

Phantom

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:20 am

my first time

"The director's cut"
3 budweiser
2 years ago
Autumn
Alone
Twilight
ImageImage

"THE NEWEST MACHINE IN THE WORLD WILL NEVER
MATCH THE HUMAN BEING."

-Ayrton Senna-
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:09 pm

rose wrote:I just saw Blade Runner for the first time yesterday. I have to say that I spent the first few minutes thinking about how cheesy the effects were. I couldn't help it - the movies from my generation are full of technological wonders. But I have seen a fair amout of older films, so I can also appreciate that this must have been spectacular at the time. Anyway, I got over the visuals and quickly realized that this was a film with deep meaning shown throught the philosophy of the story and the artistry of the director of photography. I did see lots of lighting effects that impressed me. While it was a serious commentary, I also enjoyed the humor in it (especially the "toys" - they cracked me up :lol: )

I hope I didn't insult anyone with my comments about this being an old film, but I was not even born when it came out, so it is old to me. But, I suppose I would be more correct in calling it a classic, because now I can see why it has earned this title.

I have noticed recently that most people dwell on how good or poor special effects are in comparison to any time. This is just a horrible way to watch any film. The story and characters should come first; if they do not amaze you, then the film failed on all counts. Special effects are not to be noticed at all, just to thrust the story forward or immerse you into the world presented. Heck, I find most CGI today to be worse than the optical effects of 20 years ago. only because they are so noticable, and many films go out of their way to show off the CGI over the story, it acutally pisses me off .... but I digress....

Blade Runner is not about the special effects
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:39 pm

kornula wrote: The story and characters should come first;

I don't think Blade Runner's forte are the story or the characters. What makes this particular film so special is the way it conveys its emotion and ideas to the viewer.
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:12 pm

Leon Corporation wrote:
kornula wrote: The story and characters should come first;

I don't think Blade Runner's forte are the story or the characters. What makes this particular film so special is the way it conveys its emotion and ideas to the viewer.

my point, I should say, is not that *just* blade runner falls under this description, but most films However, without strong chaarcterization, the emotions would not be noticed
<<

Deck-A-Cylon

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:03 am

Re: You Never Forget Your First Time

I was born in 81, so I was a little to 'young' to catch it at the Pictures! My first BR experience would have roughly around 1996/97. I brought a VHS copy (with the voice-over!) , I read about BR prior in books, the picture of Deckard standing beside Pris in the toy filled apartment of JF Sebastian stands out clear in my mind, anyhow, I watched BR for the first time and was simply blown away by it!!

You know there are certain films which grow on you as you watch them. But in the case of Blade Runner, I was addicted to it STRAIGHT AWAY!!! And how couldnt I ? With the lush visuals, THAT magnificent score by Vangelis! I even liked the voice-over!! And i've been a firm Blade Runner fan/fanatic ever since! I still have the copy of the VHS which resides proudly in my Blade Runner collection!

I have also been a fan of Sir Ridley Scott since then! The mans a genius! ;)
''...oh yeah, I knew he was a cylon..replicant I mean'' (James Olmos makes a Gaff - no pun intended!!! - BLADE RUNNER 5 Disc Collectors Edition)
Previous

Return to Blade Runner Round Table