Blade Runner Sound F/X downloads

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

gaijin

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:04 pm

Blade Runner Sound F/X downloads

I know there are plenty of users on this forum who are far more computer literate than myself so I am throwing myself on you with a begging letter.
Do any of you know of a site where I can download any of the sound f/x from Blade Runner?
I specifically am NOT looking for fragments of speech from the film (as these spoil the movie for me when I watch it). I am looking for the Esper effects, the Vid-fone beeps etc, stuff like that.
I did download the BR theme download for Windows (and its very good) but there are too many spoken fragments on it. I have also tried searching Google for what I'm after but the results left me in some doubt. It seemed to be an invite to a virus.
So I'd thought I'd ask you folks in case you already know a good site.
Any help would be welcome.
The Future Is Old
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:10 am

i used XCC mixer to extract some sounds and music and artwork from the blade runner game. i got gunshot sounds (various types) knife noises, screams, spinner sounds, rain, lots of stuff. but that's the game.

i dont think you need to be computer literate as much as you need to know some good audio hardware and audio software mixers and editors.

patryk might be able to get loweek to extract some sounds maybe. he's very good with music and audio stuff (he has some great music to download all made by himself)
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:21 am

I extracted those sounds for an Esper screen-saver that I created a few years ago - I found the easiest way to grab the sounds was to play the DVD on my PC and record the sound directly from the soundcard via a an audio editor such as Audacity (which is open-source and therefore FREE).

The sound quality is spot-on as it's sourced internally from the soundcard hardware and therefore is less prone to the type of noise generated when connecting audio equipment via their in/out sockets.

I also know ways of removing (or considerably reducing) vocals from an audio track.

Let me know how you get on.
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:39 am

Yeah, GO Audacity! Legal and Free!
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

THX1138

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:04 pm

audacity is like the standard de facto of all audio editors.

ive dont know where i got it, but i have an mp3 of the opening titles and credits of the blade runner movie, not from any soundtrack (maybe a bootleg). it goes from the start of the credtis, to where the camera zooms into the tyrell building. it sounds just like something from a soundtrack, except all the other noises (like the spinner, flames, lightning) are removed. also, i have something similar with the animoid row music ( i think i got it from brmovie.com)
<<

gaijin

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:11 pm

Thanks folks, I'll keep trying as per your suggestions. Audacity sounds interesting. Unfortunately I can no longer play DVD's on my pc since I scrubbed the software (and discovered I had no back-up which makes me a bit of a prat!) but this is how you learn.
The Future Is Old
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:16 pm

scrubbed the computer huh. VideoLAN is about the only free DVD player i can remember off-hand (for windows anyways. there's a ton for linux that *might* work with windows) try Xine, Ogle, and Mplayer is you want free open-source dvd players. i know mplayer is for windows, but i dont know if it has windows dvd support.

www.sourceforge.net, great free software website.
<<

gaijin

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:28 pm

Many thanks, especially THX1138, as I went to the VideoLAN site and I am once again able to view my DVD's on my PC. Also thanks from my missus (she may become a convert yet :wink: )
Ta! :D :D :D
The Future Is Old
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:39 pm

video lan is kool becase you can also stream the DVD to people on your LAN, just set up the VLC server, and get the client software, and in the client softwar, enter the IP address of the computer to get video for, and watch it. that simple. of cours,e it hogs up a lot of bandwidth.

Return to Blade Runner Round Table